Job ID 5187
Our client, Northern Gateway Public Schools (NGPS) supports those who have a hand in a child’s education by fostering a program-rich learning environment. In their commitment to education, they strive to create an environment where teachers, students, and the greater community can do their best work, together. NGPS operates 16 schools, four colony schools and four off-campus outreach programs, serving just under 5,000 learners in the communities of Alberta Beach, Onoway, Rich Valley, Darwell, Sangudo, Mayerthorpe, Whitecourt, Fox Creek and Valleyview.
NGPS believes that no matter who you are, you can learn there. From their students to their teachers, principal and staff, everyone is learning. Education happens every minute in every corner of every school, and not just between the bells but in all aspects of life. To NGPS education is a division-wide, school-to-school network of learning where giving up is not an option and pride is engrained in all they do. They know that learning makes everyone better – better students, better teachers, and better leaders. Learning brings communities closer and helps great ideas take shape. NGPS understands that every student is unique and intentionally creates spaces where every student feels welcome, inviting the whole family to participate in their education. They teach and inspire the whole child until they create an environment where every child leaves school saying: I matter. I’ve got this. I’m just getting started.
As leaders, Northern Gateway Public Schools’ values include The Three Cs:
Community, Collaboration, Creativity
Their motto is:
Learning for life. Together.
For further information on Northern Gateway Public Schools, please visit their website at www.ngps.ca.
The Financial Analyst will report to the Assistant Secretary Treasurer and will support the budgeting efforts of the organization by preparing detailed reports of expenses, income, and various other financial records. You will ensure the integrity of accounting information by preparing, recording, verifying, and consolidating financial transactions and will also be responsible for ensuring that all balance sheet accounts are well supported by account reconciliations and will organize accounting systems and develop detailed accounting plans for the organization.
The successful individual will be involved with the day-to-day operations of the accounting department including full cycle accounting responsibility, supporting month end preparation, general ledger reconciliation, preparing working papers, accounts payable and receivable, GST returns and other responsibilities that arise to support the department in reaching its goal of being a proactive service to the organization. This position is also responsible for ensuring internal controls on accounting processes, driving special projects such as finance process improvements, department training, and other assigned projects.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Analyze, recommend, implement, and train process improvements to increase efficiency and reliability of data.
- Manage and ensure all organization transactions and balances are recorded properly and reconciled timely.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly reporting.
- Manage and coordinate all activities, work assignments, deadlines, and resources related with accounting including outsourced functions.
- Lead the month end process ensuring all tasks and responsibilities are met within established deadlines including preparing and managing bank reconciliations.
- Prepare and verify all tax filings and requirements for external bodies (e.g. GST returns).
- Assist with the preparation of working papers for the external auditors.
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations on a timely basis.
- Perform Accounts Payable and/or Receivable functions as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Contribute to the process of automating the accounting system positioning the department for proactive operations.
- Support the day-to-day accounting activities allowing for leadership and other resources to focus on other strategic initiatives to meet the organizational goals.
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships with the team and leadership.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post secondary degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field.
- CPA or working towards designation is preferred.
- 5+ years experience in full cycle accounting.
- Experience in the public sector preferred.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of accounting, month end close procedures, consolidations, reporting policy/concepts, controls, and analytics.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial accounting principles and business acumen.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of general Canadian business tax laws.
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized.
- Ability to multi-task and properly execute multiple simultaneous assignments under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be flexible and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound.
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
This position requires the successful candidate to be physically present in the Division Office located in Whitecourt, AB due to the manual nature of some of the systems and processes.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Northern Gateway Public Schools in the role of Financial Analyst, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #ACCP-323165.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *