Job ID 6518
Our client, Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac), is a leading manufacturer of quality kraft pulp, with an annual production of about 640,000 tonnes. Since beginning operations in 1993, Al-Pac has taken pride in achieving excellence in manufacturing a high-quality product for customers in the tissue, toweling, paper and specialties sectors and for environmental performance. Al-Pac continuously invests in new technology and science to remain among the most environmentally responsible and competitive forest companies in the world.
Quality goes beyond their products at Al-Pac. It’s about their people, values, and business ethics. They strive to be an industry leader in key areas, from operations and how they work with their communities to the way they develop their team members and manage the forest. Al-Pac is always investing in new and innovative ideas while also delivering premium products in an environmentally sustainable way.
Vision – To be a good neighbour with $1 billion in diversified revenue by 2031.
Purpose – As stewards of the resources entrusted to us, we make a positive impact where we work and live.
Strategy – Diversify revenues through investment in complementary industries creating a diversified business hub that is differentiated by environmental stewardship, social impact, and strong governance.
Values – We are a values-based organization. At Al-Pac, we believe that living our values and holding each other accountable is one of the things that makes us successful in every area of our business.
Our values are important to us because they help us grow and develop. They ensure that our decisions are directed towards a specific purpose. Al-Pac’s core values support our vision and shape our culture:
For further information on Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries, please visit their website at www.alpac.ca.
The Business Unit Leader, IT will report to the Director, Sales & Logistics. This position is responsible for leading the articulation of current and future Al-Pac business needs, including the development and coordination of infrastructure and software to enable execution of business processes.
- Work collaboratively with business areas to prioritize and implement technological changes to support business operations.
- Lead Al Pac’s SAP Sustainment Community of practise to ensure that Al Pac optimizes its use of SAP in the environment in support of corporate and business objectives. Understand and remain cognisant on the experience and needs of Al Pac business end users, ensuring the SAP solution set and functionality is aligned with business outcomes.
- Act as the single point of contact for Al Pac’s enterprise solution managed service contracts including the Application Management Services contract and SAP support agreements. Monitor vendor performance ensure that outsourced services are delivered in line with contractual commitments and provide continual business value. Be responsible for the negotiation of service level agreements and monitor service and cost performance of services from suppliers to Al Pac’s internal customers.
- Continue to develop Al Pac’s technology strategy and roadmap to ensure that it aligns Al Pac’s corporate goals with Al Pac’s digital assets and capabilities throughout the company while, supporting the design and implementation of new innovations, technologies, processes, and policies.
- Lead analysis, evaluation, and development of enterprise long-term strategic and operating plans to ensure that Al Pac’s technology function is synchronized with ever-changing business needs and the complexity of Al Pac’s enterprise solutions.
- Lead the development and implementation of IT strategy for a significant area of responsibility, anticipating complex issues, challenges, and opportunities, ensures integration with wider corporate strategy.
- The role is responsible for meeting allocated technical and/or project/supervisory objectives specific to the evolution of Al-Pac’s technology infrastructure, networks and support services. The role will be responsible for establishing milestones, assignment of tasks and/or responsibilities to other IT team members.
- Provide Information and specialist advice to Al Pac’s leadership team to guide the implementation of IT policy and the design and implementation of technology projects and change initiatives.
- Take responsibility for setting and managing the IT budget and investments so they align with organizational strategy.
- Identify and communicate the actions needed to implement the function’s strategy and business plan within the business area; explain the relationship to the broader organization’s mission, vision and values; motivate people to commit to these and to do extraordinary things to achieve the defined goals.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Successful engagement in the way Al-Pac does business.
- Normalize the way Al-Pac does business with SAP and the environment. Developing a new way of thinking about priorities and supporting the growth of Al-Pac’s Sustainment Community.
- Build out the skills and processes in IT needed to support Al Pac’s SAP environment and associated technologies.
- A good understanding of the risks and opportunities around IT within Al-Pac.
- Must have formed relationships among peers and understand pressure points and how to prioritize them into a 3-year technology roadmap business plan.
- Understanding of the state of the business and priorities moving forward.
- Completion of an operational business plan and transformations with technology.
- Established ownership and leadership of IT.
- Ensuring team alignment.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Master’s Degree, or a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business or related field with commensurate experience in enterprise technologies management. Capable enough to get to a master level.
- 10 – 12 + years of experience in the leadership of a Corporate technology function including, direction over, enterprise applications, infrastructure, ERP software/programs (e.g: SAP S/4 Hana, etc) and technology vendors
- 7 – 10+ years progressively related management/leadership and vendor management experience.
- Forestry background or experience would be an asset but is not mandatory.
- Experience working with technology vendors and suppliers specific to the delivery of technology solutions and management of technology assets.
- Certifications in project management, and IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL 4) are desirable.
- Proficient use of enterprise Microsoft productivity tools
- 5+ years of project management experience with budget responsibilities.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution as well as experience in the forestry sector setting is desirable, specifically in technology and information systems strategy to support business goals.
- Working knowledge of computer networking, technology infrastructure, and information technology security
- Working knowledge of computing environments, trends, and market players
- High level understanding and comprehension of forest management, forestry legislation and land use planning in Alberta.
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Works under general direction within a clear framework of accountability.
- Exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy.
- Responsible for meeting allocated technical and/or project/supervisory objectives.
- Establishes milestones and has a role in the assignment of tasks and/or responsibilities.
- Must be able to influence customers, suppliers and partners at a business function level.
- Has some responsibility for the work of others and for the allocation of resources.
- Participates in external activities and education related to the management of enterprise grade technology environments.
- Makes decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Collaborates regularly with team members, end users and suppliers.
- Engages to ensure that Al Pac’s end user needs are being met via support services.
- This role requires the individual to investigate, define and resolve complex issues including understanding the relationship between Al Pac’s technology environment and wider customer and organizational requirements.
- Awareness of IT technology trends, specific to hybrid cloud, and on-premise technical environments, including co-managed delivery of services, is required.
- Have a thorough understanding of recognized industry bodies of knowledge and specialist bodies of knowledge as it relates to managing and oversight of enterprise grade technology environments.
- Able to apply knowledge effectively in unfamiliar situations and actively maintain their own knowledge and contribute to the development of other team members.
- Rapidly absorbs new information and applies it effectively.
- Maintains an awareness of developing practices and their application and takes responsibility for driving their own skills development.
- Communicate fluently, orally and in writing, and present complex information and concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- As part of day-to-day work, must be able to plan, schedule and monitor work to meet time and quality targets.
- Can facilitate collaboration between stakeholders who share common objectives.
- Can select appropriately from applicable technical standards, methods, tools and applications to meet technical, business objectives and support requirements.
- Fully understands the importance of security to own work and the operation of the organization. Seeks out specialist security knowledge or advice when required to support their own work or the work of immediate colleagues.
- Maintains an awareness of developments in the technology and forestry industries. Take the initiative to keep skills up to date. Mentor IT team colleagues as needed.
- Ensures Accountability
- Business Insight
- Strategic Mindset
- Manages Complexity
- Planning and Organizing
- Action Planning
- Adaptive Mindset
- Ability to manage complexity
- Effective communicator
- Strong data collection and analysis skills
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- Enjoys change and leading others through change
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and high energy
- Strategic and operational performer
- Collaborative and a team player
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
This position will work 2 days in St. Albert office and 2 days in Athabasca, Alberta based on business needs.
Al-Pac professional staff work Monday – Thursday from 7am – 5pm. This role will also involve occasional evening and on-call work.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. in the role of Business Unit Leader, IT, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #AGCV-657673.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Tammy Berge at 587-200-0114 ext. 103.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *