CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce is one of the longest running and most influential business organizations in Canada. It is part of a robust business community that extends regionally, provincially, nationally, and around the globe within the Chamber and World Trade Centre Networks. For almost 130 years, they have contributed to ambitious, foundational projects that have helped build Edmonton into the city it is today. Their track record of success has made them the sought‐after voice of business in Edmonton. The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce has over 2,200 members, who employ more than 100,000 people, represent small, medium and large businesses, and every sector of the economy… from heavy industry and manufacturing to retail and non‐profit organizations.
Our valued client believes that a healthy, stable, and predictable business ecosystem in any community is good for business owners and good for all. As the economy thrives and wealth creation takes place, entrepreneurs who take business innovation risks, corporations who act as cornerstones of the business community, and providers of goods and services contribute to community development in large and small ways. It is often successful businesses that become a community’s most generous volunteers, philanthropists and advocates for social innovation.
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce provides an exceptional experience for members and helps bolster Edmonton’s business environment. We provide insights on issues, deliver professional development and networking for businesses, and advocate for conditions that keep businesses competitive.
To be a relevant and contemporary Chamber of Commerce demonstrating value and leadership as we support business success in Edmonton.
Work to create a thriving environment for Edmonton businesses through advocacy to policy makers.
Anticipate and respond to the changing needs of Edmonton’s business community, providing our members with the services and experiences they want and need.
Commit to the highest standards of organizational excellence in order to demonstrate the Chamber’s leadership and to ensure the Chamber remains strong and sustainable.
For further information on our client, The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, please visit their website at www.edmontonchamber.com.
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce is looking to hire a Chief Operating Officer, a critical role within their senior leadership team. This position reports into the President & CEO and is considered the “2IC” to the CEO.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Advising the President & CEO on general and specific matters related to operations, assets, cash flow, financial results, human resources, technology and infrastructure.
- Overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, including management of the Finance Department.
- Overseeing the implementation of, and ongoing utilization of, the ChamberMaster CRM, website and mobile application.
- Ongoing management of the World Trade Centre building and adjacent parking lot, with advice and assistance of a property management firm.
- Managing the Conference Centre facilities in the World Trade Centre building.
- Asset and technology management utilizing various external service providers.
- Oversight for all human resource activities, utilizing external service provider.
- Assisting other members of the Senior Leadership Team with the application of best practices applied consistently across all operational areas and focused on realizing the goals and strategies set out in the Strategic Plan and the Operational Plan.
- Actively carry out the duties of the Chief Information Officer and the Privacy Officer.
- Assist the President & CEO with the daily operations of the Chamber, including providing guidance, assistance and advice to the other members of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Lead the team in establishing annual and quarterly targets to activate and meet the goals established in the Chamber’s Operational Plan.
- Actively participate in development and implementation of the Chamber’s strategic direction.
- Oversee the ongoing utilization, maintenance and upgrades to ChamberMaster in order to maximize its effective utilization across the organization.
Management of the Finance Team, including setting strategic direction and delivering on the relevant portions of the Operational Plan in a timely manner.
- Ultimate responsibility for delivery of all financial information on a timely basis to the President & CEO, the Audit & Risk Committee, and the Board of Directors.
- Asset management including asset protection, maintenance, replacement and redeployment, as required.
- Leading the annual 3 year rolling budget process to ensure all departments are fully participating on a timely basis, and that the actions laid out in both the Strategic and Operational Plans are being incorporated into the budget.
World Trade Centre Edmonton
Management and planning for the World Trade Centre Edmonton building and adjacent parking lot, with advice and assistance of a third-party property management firm, including working with them to negotiate service and utility contracts, and renegotiate tenant leases as required.
Provide support to the Chamber’s representative on the Tenant Advisory Committee, which works to engage all tenants in the ongoing activation and operation of this heritage building.
Establish a business plan and oversee operation of the Chamber’s Conference Centre, including establishing processes and providing direction to the Conference Centre staff, in partnership with the Manager, World Trade Centre Edmonton.
- Advise the President & CEO and, on occasion, the Board of Directors on the current status and long-term plan regarding technology infrastructure protection, replacement and upgrades.
- Work with external service providers to constantly update the technology infrastructure to protect data integrity, improve member users’ experience, and provide employees with the tools and data access required to function fully and effectively.
Ensure the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce is at the forefront of the practical application of current rules and regulations regarding personnel, as well as providing compensation packages that are fair and competitive to attract and retain an exceptional team of employees.
- Ensure all benefits reflect current best practices and position the Chamber to be competitive when hiring.
- Oversees the ongoing application of a quarterly goal setting and review process for all staff.
- Oversees any external service providers.
This position reports directly to the President & CEO.
Reporting directly to this position are the following:
- Conference Centre Administrator and part time staff
- Third party firms specializing in Human Resources, IT, and Property Management
The other members of the Senior Leadership Team will look for guidance, assistance and advice from the Chief Operating Officer.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- ChamberMaster implementation – accomplish full utilization and functionality in a smooth implementation with no customization; having every employee fully utilize the system so that capturing and mining market and member data can be optimized and become a key strategic tool for the Chamber going into 2020.
- Disruption – lead process disruption, and betterment, in conjunction with ChamberMaster implementation, to ensure processes are changed to accommodate ChamberMaster, looking to remove roadblocks and ensure our internal processes accommodate all the new and emerging models of business delivery.
- Fully functional Senior Leadership Team – with the COO being a catalyst in all daily, short term and long-term operating decisions and activities, relieving the President & CEO of the day-to-day issues so that she can focus on strategy implementation, market positioning, and government advocacy.
- Ensure Edmonton Chamber has fully functioning HR processes – quarterly goal setting and performance reviews, with all goals established to direct performance to accomplish KPI’s. Individual professional development plans. Full understanding by every employee of how they are valued, how they fit into the big picture, how they can best make a difference.
- Financing plan – a solid, longer-term financial outlook and plan that incorporates current operations and business opportunities, and analyzes how best to utilize the cash and investment pools, the mortgage refinancing, and operating lines to best accomplish the strategies and operating plans.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and core competencies:
- A University undergraduate degree, preferably in combination with a professional designation (e.g. CPA) or an additional degree (e.g. MBA) would be preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have operated in a Chief Operating Officer position, or at a similar level in business, for more than ten years.
- The ideal candidate will have a combination of private sector business experience along with background in working with a publicly traded corporation.
- Experience in public company reporting and/or reporting to a Board of Directors is critical.
- Experience and/or a great understanding of membership-driven organizations.
- Proven leadership skills in a variety of operations having led teams in operations, accounting and finance, information technology, and human resources.
- Experience in the real estate industry at a senior executive level including facility and asset management would be considered a strength.
- Strategic thinker – demonstrated ability to strategize and create effective solutions and see them through to implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to make key decisions and have direct leadership responsibility.
- Proven track record of success at a senior operating level.
- Proven track record of being results-driven.
- Adept at planning and forecasting.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Superior communications skills (written and verbal) – able to explain complex issues in a succinct and clear manner; able to utilize multiple writing styles for a variety of audiences.
- Strong negotiating skills with both external and internal stakeholders.
- Expert problem-solving and analytical skills to synthesize large volumes of information and draw appropriate conclusions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce in the role of the Chief Operating Officer, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Position ID # ALLQ-117228.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 587-200-0114 ext. 101. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
You Tube Username: ProFound Talent Inc.
Podcasts on iTunes: ProFound Talks with Terri
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *