Job ID 4695
Our client, a leader in the industrial industry with longevity in business and a strong track record of success, has a need for a Payroll Manager in Edmonton. This organization is highly established, has a strong reputation in market and continues to grow and thrive. As this is a confidential search, details on the organization will be released only to those short-listed for the opportunity.
The Payroll Manager will report to the Human Resources Executive and is responsible for delivering accurate, timely and precise payroll results for the organization capturing 100+ employees including, salaried, hourly, and contractual staff. This role does not have any direct reports and is focused on managing payroll processing and not people.
This position monitors the quality of output and service level to all employees and runs payroll for the entire organization, including setting-up processes and procedures (as-needed), creating efficiencies through technology, and communicating with a diverse workforce. The ideal candidate brings a solid background in payroll having completed payroll for large volume environments, has experience in working with HRIS systems and is very accustomed to a complex and fast paced environment.
- Oversee biweekly and monthly pay runs to ensure pay is processed timely and accurately.
- Review of approved timesheets (paper & electronic), tracking and deducting all garnishments and other special payroll deductions, recordkeeping and recording for 100+ employees; both hourly and salary.
- Reviews, analyzes, and checks payroll reports (labour, overtime and leave balances) for accuracy and makes necessary adjustments or corrections through journal entries or other established procedures.
- Lead payroll operations to complete year end related activities including updating taxable benefits, producing T4’s and T4A’s reporting and all other related reporting as required.
- Prepares and maintains related payroll records and reports.
- Prepares and maintains standard and ad hoc reports, queries, and conduct appropriate audits to ensure data integrity.
- Recommends or participates in the development of new procedures and policies related to payroll operations utilizing knowledge of Company, provincial and federal policies, and regulations.
- Researches, analyzes, and resolves difficult or technical problems or questions presented by employees, supervisor or management using knowledge of the basic agreement and relevant legislation.
- Ensure integrity and security of data; ensure that all files meet audit standards and filing is kept up to date.
- Collaborate with other internal departments to ensure that their operational and informational requirements related to payroll are met and if needed, educate on payroll reporting to ensure accuracy in hourly input for payroll processing.
- Other HR administrative duties may be requested.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Accurate ownership of full cycle payroll processes and procedures with minimal assistance required.
- Review existing payroll practices and systems understanding what is working well and what gaps exist where improvement can be made.
- Mentor and coach supervisors on payroll reporting to minimize payroll errors due to input inaccuracies.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education degree/diploma/certificate in a related discipline such as Business or Human Resources.
- Completion of a Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) – PCP/CPM designation is an asset.
- 7+ years of experience in hands-on payroll administration including leading payroll functions and operations.
- Thorough understanding of payroll related principles, procedures, legislation, and regulations.
- Knowledge of HRIS systems with Avanti being considered an asset.
- Knowledge of full-cycle payroll processes.
- Solid understanding of Taxable Benefits.
- Understand accounting treatment of payroll transactions.
- Exposure to payroll in a unionized environment will be considered an asset.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with management and employees; this includes good customer service as well as good interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated professionalism when dealing with confidential and sensitive business and employee information.
- Highly organized with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications especially excel.
- Knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be flexible and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive attitude and energy
- Unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Effective attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Respectful of others
- Collaborative and team player
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills.
- Exhibits sound judgment.
- Flexible and open to taking on additional initiatives to assist the team when needed.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join this company in the role of the Payroll Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AQSU-362135.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *