Job ID 6205
Building on 35 years of experience as Merit Contractors Association and Merit National, OpenCircle elevates employers and employees by supporting well-being in work, life, and the spaces in between.
As a membership association supporting construction and industry partners across Canada, OpenCircle supports their client companies and their employees with sustainability and growth. As changes occur globally and at home in Canada, they shine the spotlight on the employer-employee relationship, encouraging diverse thinking on how to best support employees and their families. Increasingly, the way in which businesses respond to environmental, social, and governance issues, is of concern to the marketplace and society as a whole. With these kinds of changes gathering pace, OpenCircle is committed to ensuring that they are positioned to respond appropriately. OpenCircle is future proofing their members’ businesses, with far-sighted and proactive strategies.
OpenCircle’s focus is, and always has been, people. It’s how they help their 1,700 Members and their 50,000 employees across Canada step confidently into the future. They strengthen their members’ workforces by providing programs, services, and health benefits that support their unique needs. Membership includes comprehensive employee health benefits, workforce development strategies, skills training, mental health supports, scholarship programs, tuition reimbursement programs and more.
For more information on OpenCircle please visit their website: www.opencircle.ca.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer in Edmonton, the Controller will have full oversight of the accounting function and will oversee a team of five. You will elevate the organization by building a strong foundation including accounting systems, processes, and reporting. You will align yourself with operations gaining insight into the business for budgeting, forecasting and to identify operational gaps and opportunities. You are a tenured Controller with public accounting experience in which you will continue to train, develop, support and mentor your team to new heights.
- Manage all accounting functions within OpenCircle including elevating systems, processes and reporting to ensure a strong accounting foundation for the organization.
- Manage the accounting operations including the preparation and review of journal entries, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting.
- Review, establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Support the budgeting and forecasting process with operational departments.
- Oversee the month end and year end close processes.
- Prepare month end working papers/package for CFO to review and share with the Executive and the Board.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting including pro forma financial statements, cash flow forecasting, etc
- Prepare, analyze, and present monthly, quarterly, and annual operating results for OpenCircle.
- Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making.
- Prepare financial information for monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Provides advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting as these relate to the operations.
- Set the priorities under the guidance of OpenCircle management to ensure that month end close deadlines are met and that all reporting is accurate.
- Generation of reports of performance against budgets designed to improve performance of OpenCircle.
- Support the organization in identifying, reviewing, and implementing a new software system from an accounting and internal control perspective.
- Hire, train, mentor and supervise accounting staff.
- Other related duties as required or assigned.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Develop and provide monthly reporting and working paper package with financial statements including income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flow.
- Develop a system for annual budget planning in collaboration with operations.
- Support the Information Technology team on a new system implementation sharing insight into the needs and requirements of the accounting department.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the objectives of OpenCircle and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and personal attributes:
- University degree in Business/Accounting, with advanced degree or professional CPA accounting designation (such as CA, CPA, CGA, CMA).
- Minimum 10 years of progressive accounting experience having operated in a Controller role is required.
- 3-5 years of leadership experience managing small teams.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management.
- Experience working in public practice is considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience in building systems, processes and strong accounting foundations is ideal.
- Experience with business analytics and financial variance analysis, bridging the gap between the numbers, operations and understanding what it means for the future would be an asset.
- Good project management skills and the ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
- Experience with process design, change management and ERP computer system implementations an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel
- Takes personal accountability owning the accounting function.
- Has courage to ask when uncertain.
- Will come forward with solutions and not only problems.
- Builds trust through communication and creating a “no surprise” culture.
- Takes pride in doing what you say you are going to do.
- Leads with passion, drive, and care.
- Enjoys continuous learning and development, open to constructive feedback.
- Thrives in a changing environment that is undergoing a culture shift and new ways of working.
- A collaborative team player.
- Has a positive outlook.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
- Takes pride in ensuring accuracy in the details.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
OpenCircle works in a hybrid work environment model offering flexibility as needed within the structure of 4 days in the office with “work from home Wednesday”.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join OpenCircle in the role of Controller, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AILR-003237.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Tammy Berge at 587-200-0114 ext. 103.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *