Job ID 5722
Mayfield Management Group is a disruptor for the property management industry in Alberta. Their sole purpose is to become a world-class leader in property management through change. They are a fully licensed, registered, and bonded Real Estate Brokerage specializing in Rental, Condominium, and Asset Management.
With more than 30 years in the industry and over 1 billion in assets managed, they can provide their clients with a greater understanding of the property management industry. MMG’s senior management team, with their strong core values takes a hands-on approach and spends the time to truly understand the long-term objectives for your property, and helps you achieve them.
Their business office is readily accessible in West Edmonton with fully computerized systems to meet individualized business needs.
With current operations primarily focused in Alberta, Mayfield Management is growing across Canada and is looking for key leaders to join their team in their expansion efforts. Mayfield Management Group operates under the following mission, vision, and values:
To be the undisputed number one service provider in the property management industry by continuously exceeding all our customers’ expectations.
To be a socially responsible world leader in property management.
Everything we do is guided by our values: Do What’s Right with Integrity, Deliver Results, Get Things Done, Continuously Improve, Thought Leadership, and Energized Passion.
For further information on Mayfield Management Group Ltd, please visit their website at www.mmgltd.com.
The Corporate Controller will support the seamless operations of the accounting and finance operations, provide outstanding leadership to the accounting team, and build exceptionally collaborative relationships across the organization. This position is responsible for the overall functions of the Accounting and Finance department. You will oversee a team of approximately 14 employees that support the corporate business and over 180 client assets.
Reporting to the President & CEO, this role supports the Company’s growth by demonstrating best practices in the areas of financial reporting, controls, and processes. The successful candidate will help Senior Management in developing the strategic direction of the Company through industry-leading financial practices.
The Corporate Controller will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of Mayfield Management Group including accounts payable, budgeting, forecasting, accounts receivable, bank account reconciliation, cash management, variance analysis and financial reporting.
- Build collaborative relationships across Mayfield Management Group.
- Develop and execute an industry-leading Corporate Finance strategy.
- Assist in special assignments as assigned by the President & CEO.
- Complete operational reporting and analysis; work closely with Senior Management and external auditors to ensure proper compliance.
- Budget preparation, including the development of revenue and expense budgets, and capital expenditures.
- Ensuring alignment to the Company’s strategic vision.
- Provide vision, oversight, and support in the delivery of the financial plan.
- Support the Company ownership in the building and maintaining relationships with financial institutions, including preparing and presenting various current and projected financial results.
- Analyze and review internal processes and provide recommendations for improvement
- Champion new software implementation as well as ongoing maintenance.
- Continually evaluate current processes for the opportunity to improve and re-implement revised processes for financial and operational efficiency.
- Complete basic accounting functions such as:
- Monthly balance sheet review
- A/P, A/R, G/L, bank reconciliations and payroll
- Monitoring cash flow
- Preparing GST remittance returns
- Preparing detailed reconciliations and assisting external auditing firm with year-end reports
- Overseeing regulatory compliance issues; and
- Manage and/or perform month-end closing duties/processes.
- Provide collaborative, supportive leadership to the accounting team with a focus on promoting personal and professional growth and development.
- Be present, engaged and a role model of professional conduct pursuing excellence in execution, seeking opportunities for continuous improvement, and producing creative and/or unique solutions.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Be a leader, mentor, and coach to the accounting team
- Set up and manage the MMG corporate books
- Clean up the AR
- Build a monthly reporting package for the ownership group
- Set up proper, efficient accounting corporate structure
- Determine if everything can be done in-house
- Learn Yardi
- Help with the transition to full cycle accounting by our property accountants
- Recommend and implement systems and processes that will provide seamless and efficient accounting processes
- Look for efficiencies in the organizational structure of the accounting department, restructuring as necessary
- Operational Support
- Support the Sr. Property Accountant and help resolve issues and build better processes
- Handle customer issues that require a more senior staff member
- Support the management team
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is required.
- 7 – 10 years’ accounting experience with a minimum of 2 years experience in a Controller role.
- Experience in the property management industry understanding its nuances such as security deposit refunds, reserved funds vs. operating funds, providing up to 200 financial statements monthly for client properties, trust accounting under RECA requirements; would be an asset.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis.
- Exemplary history of financial project management.
- Working knowledge of federal, provincial, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting.
- Previous experience leading out an ERP system implementation.
- Trust accounting experience and/or knowledge would be considered an asset.
- Yardi experience an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and computer accounting software.
- Property Management or Real Estate Development experience considered an asset.
- Successful track record in leading, motivating and managing teams.
- Experience in setting up the systems and processes to manage the corporate financials.
- An outgoing professional who can connect with clients to provide understanding and to have difficult conversations when needed.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Loves the build of a business getting excited in creating the “bigger, the stronger, the better”.
- Enjoys digging into your work and doing what is needed to meet your goals and objectives.
- A continuous improvement mindset where you like to challenge the status quo.
- The ability to think critically with excellence in problem solving.
- A high level of accountability and a “no quit” attitude in challenging times.
- A confident individual with the ability to challenge based on fact-based data vs. opinion only.
- The ability to stay very focused on the goal and task at hand.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task on multiple competing priorities.
- Holds themselves and their team highly accountable to their goals and initiatives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- A team player that thinks “we” vs. “I” and takes pride in moving initiatives forward as a team.
- Very focused on “getting the job done” with quality results.
- Cost management conscious.
- Good with negotiations and influencing teams.
- Builds trust through good people skills.
- Operates with high integrity, a strong work ethic and with care.
- Can be flexible and work in a fast-paced.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
This role will require a minimum of 6 months working in the office during regular operating hours to provide leadership, build team cohesiveness and to learn. Systems are cloud based with some flexibility to work from home as needed.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Mayfield Management Group in the role of the Corporate Controller, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AAIQ-605230.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Tammy Berge at 587-200-0114 ext. 103.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit www.profoundtalent.com.
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *