Job ID 3558
Little Warriors is a national, charitable organization based in Alberta which is focused on the awareness, prevention, and treatment of child sexual abuse. They also advocate on behalf of and with child sexual abuse survivors. Obtaining charitable status in January of 2007, Little Warriors is comprised of a team of dedicated volunteers and staff that have worked to create an action based charitable organization to bring awareness, offer prevention education and treatment for children who have experienced child sexual abuse.
The Little Warriors Be Brave Ranch by Ray LaBonte and Family, opened in 2014 and is a specialized, trauma-informed evidence-based, treatment centre focused on helping children who have been sexually abused, as well as their families. This program, for girls and boys from 8-12 years old and girls between the ages of 13 and 16, was designed with significant input from many leading academic and clinical experts who specialize in child sexual abuse. The Be Brave Ranch program helps children overcome the devastating effects of child sexual abuse and changes the trajectory of their lives. With the proper therapeutic interventions, child survivors of sexual abuse can become adults with strong mental health that supports a positive outlook on life and enables them to participate in life and accomplish their goals.
The name Little Warriors was inspired by a painting – the spirit of a warrior lives within every survivor of child sexual abuse. The imagery of a warrior is linked to child sexual abuse because victims need the strength and spirit of their inner warrior to face their experiences and heal. Like a warrior, these children also need the help, compassion, support, and love of many people (like a tribe), to overcome the many obstacles they will face.
Little Warriors is committed to:
Raise awareness and provide information about child sexual abuse.
Provide a treatment facility to help children cope with the devastating effects of child sexual abuse.
Provide child sexual abuse prevention strategies to adults through education.
To ensure the rights, needs and interests of children are respected and protected.
For further information on Little Warriors, please visit their website at www.littlewarriors.ca
Little Warriors is seeking a Director of Philanthropy that will report to the Senior Operations Director and is focused on major gift cultivation with a passion for fundraising and excellent communication in all mediums. As a member of the Little Warriors team, the Director of Philanthropy will partner with marketing and communications and Little Warriors leadership to help create, execute, and evaluate all philanthropic strategies and fundraising activities with a donor-centric philosophy to ensure a diverse and sustainable revenue portfolio in support of the mission and vision of Little Warriors.
The successful candidate will be responsible for aligning the vision of the organization with that of the leadership team and Board of Directors to develop, establish, and carry out an effective fundraising program to support the on-going programs, projects, and activities of the organization. Primary duties will include developing strategies to meet fundraising goals and create sustainable revenue for the organization. The Director of Philanthropy position is an opportunity for a fundraising professional looking to expand and develop their career in a successful, professionally managed and governed non-profit organization.
- In collaboration with the leadership team of Little Warriors, develop fundraising plans including budgets, goals, strategies, and timelines.
- Build and refine an extensive prospect list for major gifts, including national prospects and potential funders.
- Initiate and coordinate meetings with prospective donors, which may include key staff or Board members and facility tours of the Be Brave Ranch.
- Establish, build, and maintain relationships with major gift donors, corporate partners, grant-making organizations, and key stakeholders to increase retention and where appropriate increase levels of engagement.
- Maintain a streamlined system for donor, foundation, corporate and potential major gift donor records using in-depth understanding of databases, from the conceptual to the tactical.
- Effectively steward assigned major gift supporters and cultivate new potential sponsors and donors.
- Help refine and enhance grants application program, including research and engagement with key current and prospective grant-making organizations.
- Collaborate with Little Warriors leadership and Board for strategy development.
- Construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Help enhance and refine organizational fund development reporting, metrics and database utilization and structure.
- Implement a strategy, set priorities, manage multiple projects, and work effectively under pressure to achieve individual and organizational goals as required.
- Attend third party events as required for strategic development.
- Support other organizational initiatives, projects, programs and opportunities as assigned.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Contribute to the creation of an enhanced sponsorship and philanthropic strategy for Little Warriors in collaboration with leadership team.
- Establish and solidify relationships with long-term donors to generate sustainable funding.
- Creation of a sustainability program to achieve long-term funding goals.
- Meet fundraising goals for Little Warriors to support their growth plans.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education in Business or a related field would be ideal but not necessary.
- A Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) and/or Alberta Fundraising Professional (AFP) designation would be an asset.
- 10+ years of professional experience in non-profit or charitable organizations.
- Demonstrated track record of strategic fundraising, with five or more years of experience in securing major gifts.
- Experience securing sponsorships, working with fundraising campaigns, and increasing donor giving levels over time.
- Demonstrated success in a development function, managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources.
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- Proven ability to build and manage donor and prospect connections with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience with donor database systems.
- Experience with stewardship and solicitation of individual donors, foundation and corporate sponsor development and potential donor research.
- A successful track record in implementing strategy, setting priorities, managing multiple projects, and working effectively under pressure to achieve individual and organizational goals is required.
- Experience utilizing the strength of an organization brand for charity/business development.
- Proven track record of meeting challenging revenue targets.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic and business plans.
- Successful, significant, and relevant achievement at management level in a comparable national/international organization an asset.
- Experience with annual campaigns and events an asset.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Strong, demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, convincing and persuasive with the ability to present and convey complex ideas and issues clearly and coherently.
- Comfortable in meeting and working with executives, boards, high-net individuals, and talent.
- Excellent telephone and customer-service skills with willingness to pick up the phone and make cold calls.
- High energy and passion for Little Warriors mission is essential.
- Demonstrated commitment to discretion, confidentiality, and compassionate sensitivity in dealing with stakeholders and relationship development.
- Track record of bringing innovative creative thinking and fresh ideas to an organization and/ or its services.
- Strategically inclined with a demonstrated ability to see the big picture while managing the many small details of successful fundraising and donor engagement activities.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously, take initiative and make decisions.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Sherwood Park, Alberta
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Little Warriors in the role of Director of Philanthropy, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # ACRR-884422.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *