Job ID 1687
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce is one of the longest running and most influential business organizations in Canada. It is part of a robust business community that extends regionally, provincially, nationally, and around the globe within the Chamber and World Trade Centre Networks. For almost 130 years, they have contributed to ambitious, foundational projects that have helped build Edmonton into the city it is today. Their track record of success has made them the sought‐after voice of business in Edmonton. The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce has over 2,000 members, who employ more than 100,000 people, represent small, medium and large businesses, and every sector of the economy… from heavy industry and manufacturing to retail and non‐profit organizations.
Our valued client believes that a healthy, stable, and predictable business ecosystem in any community is good for business owners and good for all. As the economy thrives and wealth creation takes place, entrepreneurs who take business innovation risks, corporations who act as cornerstones of the business community, and providers of goods and services contribute to community development in large and small ways. It is often successful businesses that become a community’s most generous volunteers, philanthropists and advocates for social innovation.
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce provides an exceptional experience for members and helps bolster Edmonton’s business environment. We provide insights on issues, deliver professional development and networking for businesses, and advocate for conditions that keep businesses competitive.
To be a relevant and contemporary Chamber of Commerce demonstrating value and leadership as we support business success in Edmonton.
Work to create a thriving environment for Edmonton businesses through advocacy to policy makers.
Anticipate and respond to the changing needs of Edmonton’s business community, providing our members with the services and experiences they want and need.
Commit to the highest standards of organizational excellence in order to demonstrate the Chamber’s leadership and to ensure the Chamber remains strong and sustainable.
For further information on our client, The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, please visit their website at www.edmontonchamber.com.
As a member of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce’s Senior Leadership Team, the Director, Operations, provides strategic and operational leadership on general and specific matters related to operations, assets, human resources, technology and infrastructure.
- Work with other internal operating groups to accomplish the goals set out in the Strategic Plan and the Operational Plan, and coordinate priorities, including personnel and other resources, on a day to day basis.
- Responsible for improving processes and financial effectiveness of operations, working with the Director, Finance.
- Participate in development and implementation of the Chamber’s strategic direction.
- Asset management including asset protection, maintenance, replacement and redeployment, as required.
- Participate in the ongoing implementation, maintenance and upgrades to ChamberMaster in order to maximize its effective utilization across the organization.
World Trade Centre Edmonton
- Oversee the management and planning of the World Trade Centre Edmonton building and adjacent parking lot, with advice and assistance of a third-party property management firm, including working with them to negotiate service and utility contracts.
- Work with a third-party property manager and an external real estate broker to identify opportunities for securing new tenants in the building, and negotiating or renegotiating tenant leases as required.
- Provide support to the Chamber’s representative on the Tenant Advisory Committee, which works to engage all tenants in the ongoing activation and operation of this heritage building.
- Chart the course for a new business operating model and business plan focused on new business development and client retention.
- Oversee operation of the Chamber’s Conference Centre, including establishing operational processes and protocols.
- Provide training and direction for Conference Centre team members.
- Advise the President & CEO and, on occasion, the Board of Directors on the current status and long-term plan regarding technology infrastructure protection, replacement and upgrades.
- Work with the Director, Finance and external service providers to constantly update the technology infrastructure to protect data integrity, improve member users’ experience, and provide employees with the tools and data access required to function fully and effectively.
Ensure the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce is at the forefront of the practical application of current rules and regulations regarding personnel, as well as providing compensation packages that are fair and competitive to attract and retain an exceptional team of employees.
- Oversight for all human resource activities, with advise and assistance from an external service provider.
- Oversee a team performance management program, including goal setting, KPIs, and a performance review process.
- Ensure all benefits reflect current best practices and position the Chamber to be competitive when hiring.
Chief Information Officer and Privacy Officer
Actively carry out the duties of the Chief Information Officer and the Privacy Officer.
This position reports directly to the President & CEO.
Reporting directly to this position are the following:
- Conference Centre Administrator
- Conference Centre Support person
- Third party firms specializing in Human Resources, IT, and Property Management
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and core competencies:
- A University undergraduate degree, preferably in combination with a professional designation (e.g. CPA) or an additional degree (e.g. MBA) would be preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have worked in a Director of Operations position, or at a similar level in business, for more than ten years.
- Strong financial acumen with the ability to lead operations utilizing financial data, analytics and performance metrics.
- The ideal candidate will have a combination of private sector business experience along with background in working with a publicly traded corporation.
- Experience in public company reporting and/or reporting to a Board of Directors is critical.
- Experience and/or a great understanding of membership-driven organizations.
- Proven leadership skills in a variety of operations having led teams in operations, information technology, and human resources.
- Experience in the real estate industry at a senior executive level including facility and asset management would be considered a strength.
- Strategic thinker – demonstrated ability to strategize and create effective solutions and see them through to implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to make key decisions and have direct leadership responsibility.
- Proven track record of success at a senior operating level.
- Proven track record of being results-driven.
- Adept at planning and forecasting.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Superior communications skills (written and verbal) – able to explain complex issues in a succinct and clear manner; able to utilize multiple writing styles for a variety of audiences.
- Strong negotiating skills with both external and internal stakeholders.
- Expert problem-solving and analytical skills to synthesize large volumes of information and draw appropriate conclusions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce in the role of the Director, Operations, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID# AWVV-653380.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 587-200-0114 ext. 101. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
You Tube Username: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *