Job ID 3510
Capital Power is a growth-oriented North American wholesale power producer with a strategic focus on sustainable energy headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. They build, own, and operate high-quality, utility-scale generation facilities that include renewables and thermal. They have also made significant investments in carbon capture and utilization to reduce carbon impacts and are committed to be off coal in 2023. Capital Power owns over 6,400 megawatts (MW) of power generation capacity at 26 facilities across North America.
Capital Power is laying the groundwork to meet their goal of being net carbon neutral by 2050. Their power generation facilities are a hub of innovation, and they are continuously learning, adapting, and developing to create clean, reliable, and accessible electricity. Capital Power believes a holistic transformation of our energy system requires an “all-of-the-above” solution — one that expands the use of renewable energy, employs storage technologies to optimize those renewable sources and transitions to lower and zero-carbon thermal generation with improved efficiency and minimal emissions.
People are the heart of Capital Power’s business. Their current and future success depends on their ability to continue to attract and retain a diverse, engaged workforce that has the existing and emerging technical expertise to support their business and advance their net carbon neutral future.
For more information on Capital Power please visit their website: www.capitalpower.com/
Capital Power is seeking a passionate and collaborative leader for their Diversity, Inclusion and Equity (D&I) efforts to building an inclusive work environment. Reporting to the Senior Manager, People Engagement & Development, the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Manager will have D&I subject matter expertise with a proven record of effectively creating, implementing and enhancing organizational D&I strategies, initiatives, and programs.
The D&I Manager will be Capital Power’s champion and change agent for D&I across the organization, successfully building and maintaining both internal and external relationships with key partners who want to make meaningful change and build a culture of inclusion.
- Provide thought leadership to enhance and support the D&I roadmap: accountable for the end-to-end design, development and implementation of an integrated D&I strategy and plan.
- Develop, manage, and implement diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies for People Services programs, including recruitment, performance management, leadership development, succession, employee engagement, and retention.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships to support the Talent Acquisition team in creating an employee brand that appeals to diverse applicants and removes bias.
- Support the development of internal educational programs for D&I.
- Identify events and training opportunities to promote and advance the company’s D&I initiatives.
- Support a cross-functional D&I committee, that initiates, advises and mobilizes support for initiatives related to D&I and establishes a shared understanding of D&I across the organization.
- Assists in the development of integrated reporting as it relates to diversity and inclusion.
- Support the enhancement of existing corporate wide professional development programs as it relates to D&I.
- Manage vendor contracts and scope of work agreements within described limits.
- Prepare business cases for the development or sourcing of new programs and/or systems as required.
- Identify trends and best practices and provide recommendations of new diversity and inclusion approaches to ensure continuous improvement to People Engagement & Development programs to meet or exceed internal stakeholder expectations, enhance employee satisfaction, engagement, and performance.
- Develop project plans to manage and/or lead D&I change management and organizational effectiveness initiatives organization wide.
- Provide input and make recommendations on corporate policies, processes, and programs as they relate to D&I initiatives.
- Provide input to the People Engagement & Development business plan and direction; leverage an appropriate understanding of the People Services strategy.
- Develop, implement, and recommend inclusion strategies that will improve organizational effectiveness and business performance.
- Provide input into organization wide changes from a people perspective (e.g., D&I, workforce planning, organizational effectiveness, engagement, talent development, and succession).
- Provide expert advice and act as a consultant for key stakeholders including senior-level employees across People Services and all areas of the organization.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and providers to enhance buy-in, delivery and success of D&I initiatives.
- Partner with the communications team to develop internal and external D&I communications that captures a clear and concise vision for the organization.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Finalize the corporate D&I strategy including a functional and practical roadmap/plan to achieve desired outcomes.
- Key D&I metrics are developed to define, measure, and track performance aligning them to the strategy.
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships with the Talent Acquisition team to create alignment in hiring practices with D & I initiatives ensuring strategy objectives are being met.
- Develop and implement D&I action plan as per objectives identified in the D & I audit.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Education, or Business-related discipline.
- Education and certification in Diversity & Inclusion would be an asset.
- 8+ years of experience in Diversity, Inclusion and Equity including strategy and program development and the facilitation of it.
- A high level of experience and skill in managing D&I initiatives and knowledgeable of market and competitive trends, D&I principles, and best practices.
- Demonstrated track record of success in planning, developing, coordinating, implementing, and monitoring of D&I projects and major initiatives.
- Strong facilitation experience and presentation skills demonstrated by an ability to deliver subject matter expertise to a diverse audience.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Knowledge of applicable Canadian and American legislation associated with diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- An ability to build credibility to influence and create change.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to solve problems by collaborating with others to seek input and by utilizing a logical, critical path.
- Advanced understanding of diversity, inclusion, and equity, including how to integrate an equity-minded lens at both the individual and systems change levels.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to write, edit, and review training/program related documents and materials. Ability to explain the complex simply, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to research, develop, lead, and manage projects of varying complexity.
- Capability to effectively utilize Microsoft products (e.g., MS Teams, Office) in the development and delivery of programs.
- Ability to work independently as well as effectively advocate for change, influence, and collaborate across the organization to address complex and varied organizational challenges is essential.
- Change enabler who can translate plans into reality, anticipate expectations, and shift behavior.
- A change agent
- Highly collaborative
- A people service mentality that puts priority in supporting the internal customers and stakeholders
- Team player
- Strong relationship builder understanding that change occurs through strong relationships, trust and collaboration
- Advocate of equity, diversion, and inclusion
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Strategic and operational performer
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Capital Power in the role of Diversity, Inclusion & Equity Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #ABAN-607376.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *