Job ID 5253
Our client, Kicking Horse Coffee Co. Ltd., has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work for multiple years. Founded and nestled in the beautiful Canadian Rocky Mountains, the scenic valley of Invermere, British Columbia, Kicking Horse Coffee prides themselves in being a fast-growing company, with a kick-ass culture that currently employs over 110 people in a 66,000-square foot roasting and packing facility. Their question to the world is, “How will you wake up and kick ass with us?”
As Canada’s #1 leader in selling whole bean organic coffee for over 25 years; they are experiencing gains in premium and natural markets keeping their brand sophisticated and versatile, yet accessible and approachable. All their coffee is 100% Organic and Fairtrade, roasted right in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, smack dab in the middle of nowhere. Kicking Horse Coffee is now partially owned by Lavazza, an Italian global coffee manufacturer operated by third and fourth generations of the Lavazza family.
With a reputation renowned for their superior, consistent taste Kicking Horse Coffee is respected for their relentless commitment to good and sustainable practices; for example their Kick Ass blend was named Canada’s Fairtrade Product of the Year in 2016. Kicking Horse Coffee customers are loyal, fervent and demand goodness in every cup for it’s all deep, dark, and delicious, roasted coffee products.
Employees of Kicking Horse Coffee live the core values, referred to as Spirit, in every aspect of their operation. Their values are their roadmap for decision making and their guidebook for behaviour. They are their mantra; its how they wake up and kick ass everyday.
Awake: Stay curious, learn, learn, learn. Know that the world impacts our story, and that our story impacts the world. To be awake is to consider everyone in our story.
Courageous: Be bold. Speak up. Have confidence to be the best. Never settle for less. Contribute to a culture of inquiry. Ask questions. To be courageous is to lead with the heart, to the core.
Intentional: Everything with a plan. Keep thinking, improving. Anticipate next steps and actions. Examine and curate every part of experience. Make thoughtful decisions: that’s how we get good – even great. Our story is the product of a thousand small gestures. Do every little thing with good intention.
Sophisticated: Refined, yet welcoming. Dignity strengthened with humbleness. Distinguished yet approachable. Strength, with grace. Seek simplicity. Scorn mediocrity. Source the best. Intention with sophistication creates outstanding experiences.
Love: Passion beyond ourselves. Seeking connection. A whole-hearted presence. A celebration of life.
Living in Invermere, British Columbia – The Columbia Valley
Known as “The Valley of a Thousand Peaks”, the Columbia Valley is located between the Rocky Mountains and the Purcell Mountain Range in British Columbia’s Kootenay-Rockies region and is on Mountain Time
- Population of over 9,000 permanent and 20,000 seasonal residents.
- Canadian Rockies International Airport within 1.5-hour drive (140 km).
Lifestyle & Recreation:
- Natural and recreational attractions including Kootenay National Park, Lakes Windermere and Columbia, the Purcell and Rocky Mountain ranges, the mighty Columbia River, and the largest continuous wetlands in North America.
- Unlimited year-round outdoor recreation including Nordic and downhill skiing, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, canoeing, hunting, fishing, wildlife viewing, mountaineering, white-water rafting, snowmobiling, and bird watching.
- Lake Windermere Whiteway – a 35 km groomed track that is a paradise for skaters and skiers and creates a recreation area used by anglers, curling bonspiels, hockey tournaments and more.
- Championship golfing with 15 courses located within the region.
- Check out these links for a peek at summer and winter activities:
- Glacier: The Hiker’s National Park – Ultimate Guide – YouTube: Ultimate Guide By Steve Salis
- World’s Longest Ice Skating Trail – The Whiteway – Take Me – Bing video: Take me There
Education & Health Care:
Post-secondary education is available through College of the Rockies; excellent pre-schools and public schools serve all communities. Accessible health care with Invermere & District Hospital serving the Columbia Valley and family doctors available for new residents.
For more information visit:
- Columbia Valley, BC – Imagine Kootenay – Imagine Kootenay
- Visit Kicking Horse Coffee – kickinghorsecoffee.com
As the Engineering Manager you will report to the Vice President, Operations and you will dive into operational data to envision possibilities for the future of operations at Kicking Horse Coffee. You will share that vision, then bring it to life through project and team management. With each new project, you will work collaboratively to ensure we are improving overall employee health and safety and aim to exceed quality and food safety standards. Supporting and leading the entire production team, you will drive continuous improvement throughout the manufacturing process.
You are an exceptional project manager with proven ability to organize a team collaboratively and execute projects on time and budget. You have a knack for continuous improvement puzzles, are obsessed with how automation can improve job quality, have high standards for quality, and can holistically think through a project. You understand who the stakeholders are and how the outcomes will impact the whole system. Your daily mission is to dream about the future of operations, then bring that dream to life by executing projects that collaboratively drive efficiency and capacity improvements.
You are an individual that appreciates a lifestyle of outdoor living and all that a mountain community can offer. You view this as your opportunity to bring your lifestyle together with your career where you are blessed to live in the Columbia Valley, BC – Kootenay region with breath-taking scenery and an amazing community. You are excited to enjoy outdoor year-round sporting and recreational activities and adventures; or possibly, a day of self relaxing where you look forward to mingling with other community members enjoying the local restaurants, such as the Kicking Horse Café, slated to re-open in mid 2022.
- Understand the technical needs of the business and drive continuous improvement in operations to improve operational KPI’s by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating and engineering data and trends.
- Develop and propose the annual capital operations project plan to support strategic goals, continuous improvement, and manufacturing capacity needs. This includes all cap-ex requests and process improvement initiatives.
- Research and propose new technology, consulting with experts as needed.
- Execute the approved project plans; managing the projects from start to finish and working collaboratively with all stakeholders, within the confirmed timelines and approved budgets.
- Ensure that all projects and process improvements align with Environmental Health & Safety, Quality Assurance, and Food Safety Management System standards.
- Lead and grow the capacity of the Engineering team within the organization.
- Build a connection with the Lavazza Group Engineering HQ, leveraging the skills and experience of the team as necessary.
- Partner with the Internal Communications team to ensure strong, clear communication needed to implement change and improvements.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Execute approved capital projects for 2022 within established timeframe and budget.
- Assist in the development plan of strategic projects that will support organization goals for 2023.
- Lead, execute, and deliver on production initiatives within 2023 strategic plan.
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships among departments to align on attaining long term goals.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post secondary degree in Engineering.
- 5+ years’ experience in a manufacturing or industrial environment.
- 5+ years’ experience in project management.
- Experience leading and managing a team.
- Previous Food or Beverage industry experience, familiar with QMP, GMPs & HACCP (Preferred)
Competencies and Knowledge
- You’re able to work on multiple projects in various stages simultaneously.
- You are a flexible thinker with the ability to pivot and try new approaches when faced with challenges.
- You are proficient when using presentation software to explain complex information to non-technical management team members and other stakeholders.
- You’ve got strong working knowledge of PC applications (Google Sketchup (CAD), MS Office, including Project, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Remarkable relationship builder with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Analytical, agile, and able to drive change in a fast-paced, energetic environment.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity combined with strong leadership abilities.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Strategic thinker with an ability to predict the results of actions and plan accordingly.
- Annihilate mediocrity with strong attention to detail; high standards for quality; excellent time management.
- Change doesn’t scare you; you’ve got grit!
- You value farm to cup sustainability.
- Positive, passionate, authentic, personable; people like to work with you!
- Ability to effectively counsel, influence, prioritize, project-manage, problem solve and deliver results.
- You enjoy a good challenge and can implement systems and processes to accomplish your goals.
- You have a dream to be different, to create a world you want to see.
- Willing and able to work out of our headquarters in Invermere, British Columbia.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Invermere, British Columbia, Canada. The successful candidate must be willing to relocate to Invermere.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Kicking Horse Coffee in the role of the Engineering Manager please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID# AKSU-361473.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We are grateful to everyone that takes the time to apply for this role. Those who will be advancing in the process will be contacted directly.*