Job ID 5663
Our client, the Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA), is the champion of Alberta’s 61 locally elected public, catholic and francophone school boards. Passionate and dedicated, ASBA offers a provincial voice to school boards—a say in the future of education in our province.
Collectively, ASBA provides a balanced viewpoint to government and other stakeholders and speaks on behalf of all school boards. The result is unparalleled diversity and choice for Alberta families. It’s something they have been doing for more than 110 years.
ASBA offers a wide range of education and consulting services. Through their vision of inspiring exceptional school board governance, ASBA offers support and builds the capacity of school boards and individual trustees, ranging from advice and training to leadership, professional development, governance, and advocacy. ASBA values innovation and finding new ways to ensure school board trustees get the professional development, support, and resources when and where they need it.
For further information on Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA), please visit their website at www.asba.ab.ca
The Events and Professional Learning Specialist will report to the Chief Officer of Professional Learning and Events and will play an important role in achieving ASBA’s strategic plan goals and supporting their membership in ongoing professional development. This work is done through research, design, and delivery of best practices and programs in adult learning, e-learning, and organizing events for ASBA member school boards. The Events and Professional Learning Specialist’s role will require extensive knowledge of best practices in hosting events across different platforms, adult learning, as well as knowledge of topics of relevance, timeliness, and interest to member trustees.
- Ensure professional development content and event programming are high quality, strategic, and targeted to members.
- Collaborate and support the process of acquisition of partnerships, sponsorships, and grants to support various ASBA initiatives.
- Research new initiatives and opportunities for ASBA to provide targeted and relevant experiences for members.
- Participate in the planning of ASBA general meetings, events, conferences and professional learning opportunities.
- Participate in developing program review and assessment processes, including program and cost effectiveness.
- Coordinate diverse events, including hybrid, which involves communication and coordination with multiple diverse stakeholders, including Indigenous community members.
- Coordinate current and potential learning offerings and speakers for events based on identified research, feedback from members, trends, and best practices.
- Provide support for the development of online learning resources.
- Apply principles of adult learning theory, including the andragogical approach of learners leading and/or participating in the design, development, and delivery of learning and professional learning offerings.
- Assess program delivery methods and utilize appropriate delivery format, including web- based, small format, large conference, blended, massive open online courses (MOOC), etc.
- In collaboration with Chief Officer of Professional Learning and Events, coordinate three significant Alberta wide awards including managing the database of applications, collaborating with awards panel, coordinating with the Minister’s office, and giving presentations to the board for review.
- The Events and Professional Learning Specialist may be assigned other duties and projects.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Develop a database of professional learning opportunities as evidenced through member surveys from quality satisfaction and events.
- Create solid, trusting relationships with staff and external stakeholders which fosters an environment of collaboration and unity.
- Establish consistent communication channels and maintain strong relationships with professional learning partners.
- Maintain a high measure of quality satisfaction through anecdotal feedback.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of ASBA and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Instructional Design/Technology, Education, or equivalent experience.
- 5 – 7 years experience collectively in managing projects; developing, evaluating, and delivering adult education programs; planning and delivering events and conferences; working with information-sharing platforms and processes.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Knowledge of or fluency in French is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Indigenous protocols, practices, and community engagement in support of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada Calls to Action.
- Commitment to, and passion for, life-long learning and public education in Alberta.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Excellent resourcefulness, innovation, and problem-solving competencies.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office products and other software platforms.
- Ability to work hours outside regular office hours as required.
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs.
- Experience working with learning management systems is an asset
- Highly accountable
- Confident and outgoing
- A team player, willing to jump in and provide support where needed
- Respectful of others
- Detail oriented
- Positive attitude and energy
- Highly collaborative
- Forward thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
- Strong proactive communication skills
- Takes initiative
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Edmonton, Alberta. This position will work under a hybrid model operating 3 days in the office.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Alberta School Boards Association in the role of Events and Professional Learning Specialist, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #AXMQ-163130.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Tammy Berge at 587-200-0114 ext. 103.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *