Job ID 726
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE CEO
Every day, 53 Albertans hear the words “you have cancer”. Our client, The Alberta Cancer Foundation aims to make a difference today, for every Albertan that is affected by these three words.
Like their donors, they are impatient. They are pushing forward for faster results that will improve the lives of 53 Albertans today and for every coming day until they achieve their vision of a cancer-free Alberta.
This vision is bold. To realize it, they have to do things differently. They take a strategic approach to investing donor dollars, toward initiatives and programs that will lead to:
- Research and programs that have a clear impact for patients
- Earlier detection
- Improved treatments and an enhanced quality of life
Unlike any other philanthropic organization in Alberta, they only invest in ideas that will deliver results to cancer patients. As the fundraising partner for all of Alberta’s cancer centres (17), including the Cross-Cancer Institute in Edmonton and the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary. The Alberta Cancer Foundation ensures that their investments directly support cancer patients.
They know that collaboration will speed up the rate of progress. They bring donors, patients, health care providers and researchers together; so that they may work together in reaching their goals, that alone would be unreachable.
Their mission is to make Alberta the leader in cancer prevention research and care. Their vision is a cancer-free future. They strive to be one of the most innovative philanthropic organizations in Canada. They achieve this by delivering transformational results for those waging the war against cancer, and their families. Strategic priorities drive their organization as they continue to push for change.
Role: They are the official fundraiser for all Alberta cancer centres.
Mission: Making life better for Albertans facing cancer.
Vision: A cancer free future.
For more information on our client and to consider joining this dynamic organization, Alberta Cancer Foundation, please review their website at www.albertacancer.ca.
Our client, the Alberta Cancer Foundation, is recruiting for an Executive Assistant to the CEO. Reporting to the President & Chief Executive Officer, the Executive Assistant is responsible for the coordination of all internal and external activities as it relates to the office of the President & CEO and the operation of the Foundation. The Executive Assistant provided primary administrative support to the President & CEO and Board of Trustees and on occasion to the Executive staff of the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
President & Chief Executive Officer Administrative Support: (70%)
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the President & CEO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Acts as point of contact with provincial, city officials, and executives in business and industry and outside Boards as it relates to the roles and responsibilities of the President & CEO including monitoring CEO@albertacancer.ca email account
- Coordinate and manage the calendar schedule for internal and external functions including meeting arrangements and speaking engagements, and preparation of all materials for such functions.
- Responsible for managing, resolving and/or directing concerns brought forward by staff, stakeholders or the general public.
- In consultation with the Fund Development and Program Investment teams, initiate, manage, coordinate and monitor the donor stewardship activities and prepare an annual summary report.
- Responsible for inputting all donor stewardship activities into Raiser’s Edge.
- Research information and background as required in support of President & CEO activities, projects, donors, and initiatives.
- Write, draft, prepare and review correspondence on behalf of the President & CEO.
- Arrange and coordinate travel schedule on behalf of the President & CEO.
- Responsible for managing all expense related items including collating, reviewing and completing expense claims and ensure all expenditures comply with the ACF policies.
- Develop effective working relationships with Executive Assistants from all levels of provincial, AHS and municipal governments as well as Executive Assistants from national, provincial and local businesses interacting with the Foundation.
- Daily preparation of calendar schedule, meeting notes, documentation, and background information in preparation for the day and all meetings that will be attended.
- Works closely and effectively with the President & CEO to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, including timely and appropriate follow-up.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the President & CEO, with Board members, donors, Foundation staff, and others, on matters related to President & CEO’s office and Foundation business.
- Follows up on contacts made by the President & CEO and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships.
- Develop, monitor and oversee budget accounts for the President & CEO’s office, special projects and Board of Governors.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees (15%)
- Prepare, coordinate and manage all meetings, documents, agendas and minutes for the Board of Trustees.
- Acts as point of contact with provincial, city officials, and executives in business and industry relates to the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Trustees.
- Manage all arrangements that the Chair or members of the Board of Trustees has or is requested to attend public officials and business /industry meetings and project requests.
- Coordinate the Chair and Board of Trustees schedules for internal and external functions including duties and speaking engagements, accurate details of events and preparation of all materials required for the Chair and Trustees.
- Manage, resolve and/or direct concerns brought forward to the Board of Trustee by staff, stakeholders or general public.
- Research information and background as required in support of the Board members’ activities, projects, and initiatives.
- Responsible for inputting all donor stewardship activities by Board members into Raiser’s Edge.
- Write, draft, prepare and review correspondence on behalf of the Chair of the Board.
- Arrange and coordinate travel schedule on behalf of the all members of the Board.
- Responsible for managing all expense related items including collating, reviewing and completing expense claims for Board members and ensure all expenditures comply with the ACF policies.
- Support the Chair of the board by scheduling and preparing meeting notes, documentation, and background information in preparation for all meetings that will be attended on behalf of the Foundation and by monitoring firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Responsible for all aspects of convening Board meetings and Board Committee meetings.
- Organizes and supports Board Orientation Program, including developing, coordinating and compiling orientation materials.
Executive Team Liaison (10%)
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Management Team.
- Attends and is responsible for all aspects of organizing Executive Management meetings.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President & CEO’s office and internal departments; demonstrates leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Assistants to the Vice Presidents of the Foundation. This may include chairing occasional team meetings, dealing with concerns, developing appropriate action plans as well as establishing administrative standards and work processes and priorities.
Other Duties (5%)
- Knowledgeable of and monitors office adherence to office policy/procedures.
- Provides leadership and mentorship for the other Foundation administrative staff.
- Maintains contemporary knowledge about relevant services, practices or products; assesses applicability to the Foundation and implements where appropriate.
- Complete duties as assigned by the President & CEO, special projects as required by the President & CEO, some of which may have organizational impact.
Key Stakeholder Relationships:
- Alberta Health Services and Cancer Control executives, administrative support
- Management Team – interaction with all levels of management
- External stakeholders – donors, corporate partners
- Communications staff
- Finance – payroll; accounting processes.
- Human Resources
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Always be thinking one step ahead of the CEO; as it relates to his potential need for information, communication, planning, documentation and event preparation; goal is to allow him to focus on the big picture while you focus on the details
- Superb attention to the finer details ensuring meetings are scheduled correctly in his calendar, travel plans are clear, he is prepped for meetings etc.
- Sound judgement skills; the successful candidate will build trust with the CEO by demonstrating that they think through situations clearly; identifying potential risks and challenges prior to making decisions/communications that could have adverse affects to the organization
- Board of Trustees feel supported
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the Alberta Cancer Foundation and in supporting the success of the CEO, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and personal characteristics:
- Post-secondary undergraduate degree in Office Administration, business or relevant discipline preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a senior management assistant role with a minimum of 5 years as an Executive Assistant to the Senior Executive Staff, including Vice Presidents, Presidents & CEOs.
- Experience in providing support to Board of Trustees and knowledge of the functions of Governance Boards.
- Advanced expertise and knowledge in use of information technology in a Windows environment using MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and administrative/ communication skills required.
- Proficiency in the use of Raiser’s Edge database preferred, or experience with other CRM tools.
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Maturity and discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to work respectfully both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to remain calm and practical in challenging situations or conversations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and respond to and resolve issues quickly.
- Some travel to Calgary or other provincial location may be required for meetings with the President & CEO, Executive and Board of Trustees.
- Successful candidates must present a current, valid criminal record check and vulnerable sector check prior to commencement for employment.
- Individual must be able to travel up to 25% (primarily to Calgary once a quarter)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- Strong communicator
- A collaborator – engages peers and leadership
- Intuitive – you can function well as a “gatekeeper” managing communication that needs the attention of the CEO vs. communication that can be directed to others
- A “roll up your sleeves” mentality
- Driven towards excellence
- Confident – can speak authentically to the CEO through straight forward and blunt conversation when needed
- A great sense of humor
- Professional in image and demeanor
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join our client, the Alberta Cancer Foundation, in the role of the Executive Assistant to the CEO position, please email your resume to email@example.com referencing Position ID # APFR–637613.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Jesse Lipscombe at 587-200-0114 ext. 102. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
You Tube Username: ProFound Talent Inc.
Podcasts on iTunes: ProFound Talks with Terri
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted.