Job ID 6403
Our client, an Alberta based not-for-profit that is focused on supporting businesses in scaling and growing their technology platforms and in driving new technology business into Alberta, has a need for an Executive Director. This organization has a strong reputation in market, with it continuing to grow and thrive supporting the technology ecosystem through its talented team and dedication to its industry. As this is a confidential search, details on the organization will be released only to those short-listed for the opportunity.
As the Executive Director, you will report to a Board of Directors and will be responsible for executing on the vision and strategic direction with the Board and developing an actionable operational plan and in creating a path for success. You will build strong internal processes, policies and a team positioning to scale the organization to becoming a global leader. You will have full responsibility for the financial operation of the business, mitigating risk, ensuring a sustainable future, and enhancing cash flow while keeping people at the forefront. You will be the ambassador of the organization building strategic partnerships with business, industry, post-secondary and funders while attending networking events, industry conferences and critical meetings that drive the organization closer to its vision. The Executive Director will be a collaborative leader that communicates effectively with the Board, their team, and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Board in the development and review of the vision, mission, values, and strategic plans.
- Communicate with the Board keeping them abreast of organizational activities, performance to plan, market insights, obstacles encountered and financial performance in the frequency and format defined by the Board.
- Advise the Board in a timely fashion of any developments that impact risk to the association.
- Prepare adequate monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for Board meetings and AGM.
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission.
- Develop high quality business strategies and plans ensuring their alignment with short-term and long-term objectives.
- Ensure the development, implementation, and evaluation of annual operational goals, including quality program standards and accountability frameworks.
- Seek innovative opportunities to advance the organization’s mission.
External Stakeholder Relations
- Build trusting relations with key stakeholders and funders and act as a point of contact for important shareholders including partners, sponsors, funders, post-secondary, government agencies and private sector business.
- Engage the market as an ambassador of the organization promoting its vision, mission, and values.
- Oversee external marketing including activities/deliverables such as branding, marketing, and digital media (website, e-newsletters, social media).
- Lead fund development initiatives (e.g., sponsorship and grant proposal).
- Responsible and accountable for the financial performance of the organization and all program streams.
- Review financial and non-financial reports to devise solutions or improvements.
- Implement, improve, and enforce policies and procedures that will increase the financial and operational effectiveness of the company.
- Ensure organizational risks are identified and appropriately managed.
- Ensure maintenance of records, reports, and systems in accordance with funder requirements and program policy.
- Responsible for delivery of all financial information on a timely basis to the Board of Directors.
- Lead the annual budgeting process ensuring the actions placed in both the strategic and operational plans are being incorporated into the budget; as well as managing the budgeting and financial forecasting for the future.
- Support the accountant to manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting.
- Build a sustainable organization with multiple funding streams to deliver member value.
- Build internal excitement towards the vision keeping the team focused on fulfilling the mission.
- Oversee human resource management for all staff, which includes workforce planning, recruiting, training and performance management.
- Lead and motivate to advance employee engagement and to develop a high performing leadership team.
- Create a high-performance values-based culture of professional engagement and transparency to maintain a positive work environment.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Work with the Board to review and affirm the vision and strategic operational plan focused on the short-term 2-year mission and long-term 5-10 year vision.
- Stabilize and ensure all programs are running efficiently and effectively.
- Meet or exceed key performance metrics, milestones and deliverables for programming including targets for growth as required for program reporting for funding.
- Grow the organization by delivering membership value that will result in attracting new members and retaining existing members.
- Maintain good financial relations with sponsors and funders.
- Ensure resilience and sustainability around finances and cash flow.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education in a related industry would be preferred with equivalent experience being considered.
- 5+ years of experience in technology or a related industry and/or a demonstrated passion for the tech industry staying abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends.
- 10 years experience in a leadership role having managed the profit and loss of a business or department with responsibility for leading a team.
- Experience in reporting to a Board or having sat on a Board with understanding of Board governance and reporting.
- Experience in developing profitable strategies; setting and implementing a vision.
- Skilled in evaluating a company’s financial, operational, sales and marketing structures to plan for continual improvements and an increase in operational efficiencies.
- Demonstrated track record in showing fiscal responsibility.
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as marketing, PR, finance etc.
- Demonstrated experience with external relations and stakeholder engagement building trusting relations and strong partnerships.
- Ability to engage and communicate with C-Suite level leaders.
- Collaborative team player.
- Highly accountable.
- Persistent showing grit with the ability to push past obstacles.
- Diplomatic in your approach.
- Empowering with the ability to delegate effectively.
- A contagious energy that gets people excited about the task at hand.
- Can deliver tough messages and say no when necessary.
- Operates with a strategic lens focused on the goal and not the shiny objects.
- Can roll up your sleeves and get in the trenches when necessary.
- Understands operational risk and is sensitive to what needs to be reported and what doesn’t.
- Highly organized with good time management skills.
- Builds trust and strategic relationships easily.
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- Exhibits sound judgment.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Calgary or Edmonton preferred with other Alberta cities being considered with an understanding that travel will be a requirement for in-person meetings and event attendance.
This position is fully remote with requirements for in-person meetings and event attendance. Travel is expected to be less than 30%.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join our client in the role of Executive Director, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AEJR-806788.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 587-200-0114 ext. 101.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *