Job ID 5317
Our client, Kicking Horse Coffee Co. Ltd. (KHC), has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work for multiple years. Founded and nestled in the beautiful Canadian Rocky Mountains, the scenic valley of Invermere, British Columbia, Kicking Horse Coffee prides themselves in being a fast-growing company, with a kick-ass culture that currently employs over 110 people in a 66,000-square foot roasting and packing facility. Their question to the world is, “How will you wake up and kick ass with us?”
As Canada’s #1 leader in selling whole bean organic coffee for over 25 years; they are experiencing gains in premium and natural markets keeping their brand sophisticated and versatile, yet accessible and approachable. All their coffee is 100% Organic and Fairtrade, roasted right in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, smack dab in the middle of nowhere. Kicking Horse Coffee is now partially owned by Lavazza, an Italian global coffee manufacturer operated by third and fourth generations of the Lavazza family.
With a reputation renowned for their superior, consistent taste Kicking Horse Coffee is respected for their relentless commitment to good and sustainable practices; for example their Kick Ass blend was named Canada’s Fairtrade Product of the Year in 2016. Kicking Horse Coffee customers are loyal, fervent and demand goodness in every cup for it’s all deep, dark, and delicious, roasted coffee products.
Employees of Kicking Horse Coffee live the core values, referred to as Spirit, in every aspect of their operation. Their values are their roadmap for decision making and their guidebook for behaviour. They are their mantra; its how they wake up and kick ass everyday.
Awake: Stay curious, learn, learn, learn. Know that the world impacts our story, and that our story impacts the world. To be awake is to consider everyone in our story.
Courageous: Be bold. Speak up. Have confidence to be the best. Never settle for less. Contribute to a culture of inquiry. Ask questions. To be courageous is to lead with the heart, to the core.
Intentional: Everything with a plan. Keep thinking, improving. Anticipate next steps and actions. Examine and curate every part of experience. Make thoughtful decisions: that’s how we get good – even great. Our story is the product of a thousand small gestures. Do every little thing with good intention.
Sophisticated: Refined, yet welcoming. Dignity strengthened with humbleness. Distinguished yet approachable. Strength, with grace. Seek simplicity. Scorn mediocrity. Source the best. Intention with sophistication creates outstanding experiences.
Love: Passion beyond ourselves. Seeking connection. A whole-hearted presence. A celebration of life.
Living in Invermere, British Columbia – The Columbia Valley
Known as “The Valley of a Thousand Peaks”, the Columbia Valley is located between the Rocky Mountains and the Purcell Mountain Range in British Columbia’s Kootenay-Rockies region and is on Mountain Time
- Population of over 9,000 permanent and 20,000 seasonal residents.
- Canadian Rockies International Airport within 1.5-hour drive (140 km).
Lifestyle & Recreation:
- Natural and recreational attractions including Kootenay National Park, Lakes Windermere and Columbia, the Purcell and Rocky Mountain ranges, the mighty Columbia River, and the largest continuous wetlands in North America.
- Unlimited year-round outdoor recreation including Nordic and downhill skiing, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, canoeing, hunting, fishing, wildlife viewing, mountaineering, white-water rafting, snowmobiling, and bird watching.
- Lake Windermere Whiteway – a 35 km groomed track that is a paradise for skaters and skiers and creates a recreation area used by anglers, curling bonspiels, hockey tournaments and more.
- Championship golfing with 15 courses located within the region.
- Check out these links for a peek at summer and winter activities:
Education & Health Care:
Post-secondary education is available through College of the Rockies; excellent pre-schools and public schools serve all communities. Accessible health care with Invermere & District Hospital serving the Columbia Valley and family doctors available for new residents.
For more information, visit:
- Columbia Valley, BC – Imagine Kootenay – Imagine Kootenay
- Visit Kicking Horse Coffee – kickinghorsecoffee.com
Who Are You?
Counter of the beans, keeper of numbers, this is not your first rodeo! You’re a leader in the world of finance and have several years of experience in leadership and financial and accounting management. A process mastermind with a passion for more than just numbers, you love leading people as much as you love delivering detailed data. With a keen interest in business operations and setting objectives that drive performance, you dig in and figure things out. Whoa, you’re awesome!
What Will You Do?
Lead the accounting function of a fast growing and profitable business! You’ll make sure KHC’s financial controls and reporting results comply with financial reporting standards. Reporting to the CFO, you will work collaboratively with leaders across Kicking Horse Coffee. You will also act as a key conduit of information to our partners at Lavazza.
- Plan and lead all the accounting operational functions for the organization aligned to our strategic priorities and culture.
- Manage all consolidated financial data and reporting necessary for timely and accurate internal and external financial statements.
- Lead a small but kick ass accounting team. Responsible for building, connecting, and engaging a team that thrives and has fun! You will lead recruitment, training, communication, goal setting and performance management.
- Develop, implement, and monitor internal financial controls and processes, understanding how business workflows connect across the organization.
- Participate in budget and forecast planning. Support leaders across the organization on their budget management and assist in the development, monitoring and analysis of key performance indicators.
- Maintain the ERP system and master data, ensuring processes are maintained for purchasing, MRP, inventory, scheduling, and production.
- Manage corporate and sales tax for Canada and the USA.
- Understand the organization’s cash flow needs, actively evaluating and managing risks.
- Coordinate external audit processes and internal audit requirements for Lavazza.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Build strong relationships with the executive and leadership team providing accurate financials and analysis to support operations resulting in becoming a trusted advisor to the business.
- Evaluate and build strength in the accounting and finance team to support the evolving business and needs of the future.
- Take a proactive approach in building relationships with Lavazza, the Italian parent company of KHC.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of Kicking Horse Coffee and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Commerce, or related education.
- Must hold a CPA designation.
- 7+ years experience in accounting with progressive responsibilities.
- Experience in Canadian GAAP and IFRS.
- Understanding of tax principles in Canada and the USA with ability to liaise with external tax professionals.
- Previous experience leading an accounting team.
- In depth knowledge of the production related modules of an ERP System.
- Experience with SAP and E21 an asset.
- You’re a chameleon when it comes to change. Adaptable, agile, and energized in a fast-paced environment. Change doesn’t scare you; you’ve got grit!
- Curiosity is your middle name: You are exceptional at asking questions to deepen understanding.
- You love people: You are collaborative and build strong working relationships with everyone around you.
- Love data and analysis as much as you love people: You have a natural analytical mind and know how to mine for data that supports the business process and results.
- Communication pro: you actively share information with clarity, transparency, and care.
- Annihilate mediocrity: you have an eagle-eye attention to detail; a high standard for quality (you sweat the details); and are strong at managing priorities.
What Else You Need To Know:
- KHC fervently believes in taking care of their people: They offer generous time off including a paid day off to celebrate your birthday. In addition to solid health and dental benefits, they offer an annual wellness allowance. If you decide to walk, bike, or skip to work, they pay you for you green commuting choices. They’ll support your professional development dream. They’ll also make sure you have plenty of access to fun in the mountains through their Fun Day and Powder Day programs.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Ideally, this role will be based in at KHC’s HQ of Invermere, BC – but hey, they’re flexible if you are in another town with easy access to Invermere.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Kicking Horse Coffee in the role of Financial Controller, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # ALHQ-188260.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *