Job ID 5736
Our client, Porter Warehousing & Distribution Inc. (PWD), was established in 1977 and has been serving the Western provinces as a 3PL provider for more than four decades. With over 600,000 square feet of modern warehouse space conveniently located in Northwest Edmonton, PWD offers same day delivery in Central and Northern Alberta as well as next-day delivery across most of BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Operating multiple warehouse facilities in Edmonton, PWD continues to expand rapidly and is deeply committed to the success of their customers, investing in leading technologies, equipment, and people, as well as expanding their warehousing and logistics reach across Canada.
From small, hand-picked parts to large industrial pieces, PWD handles warehousing and shipping of commercial & industrial products along with food, beverage & consumer products. The Porter difference starts with Porter’s 3P’s, which are more than just buzzwords but are real-life values that can be seen and felt from the moment one steps foot into a Porter facility and comprise who they are:
- Urgency – move fast, think fast, act fast
- Deliverables – right product, right place, right time
- Accuracy – attention to detail in everything we do
- Improvement – Learn, grow, adapt
- Facilities – modern, safe, clean and secure warehouses
- People – everything at Porter begins and ends with our people
- Expertise – Alberta’s most reliable 3PL logistics company
- Relationships – with our partners, our customers, and our people
- Culture – a family with strength and a force to be reckoned with
- Standards – dedication to excellence in performance
For further information on Porter Warehousing & Distribution Inc., please visit their website at www.porterwarehousing.com
The General Manager will report to the Vice President of Operations and will be the leader for client facing activities for both the Warehouse and Customer Service teams. This position provides mentoring to the workforce while working with Business Development teams and Senior Management to maximize business growth.
- Focus warehouse operations on top level performance to ensure the following:
- Effective space management, maximizing revenue per square foot
- Efficient use of time, maximizing revenue per labour hour
- Extremely high levels of accuracy in all KPI target areas, particularly those important to the client
- Security and safeguarding client inventory and all Company assets, minimizing chargeback claims/losses
- Proper utilization of systems, standard operating procedures, and scope of work definitions
- Direct the Customer Service team to provide fast, responsive service with extreme accuracy in all transactions at a target 100% accuracy goal, with excellent relationships and demonstrable values to existing clients.
- Teach, coach, and cultivate excellence in supervision and operational leadership at all levels; ensure that cohesiveness exists between the Warehouse and Customer Service and that all efforts are focused to mutually serve the client and their end-user customers with a high level of excellence.
- Ensure Company Policies, SOPs, and SOWs (work methods) are understood and are regularly inspected for compliance.
- Work with the HR department for staffing requirements; ensure that strong retention strategies are utilized, all new employees are properly oriented and indoctrinated, and reviews are conducted effectively.
Operations & Process
- Ensure client requirements are understood, and that resources are aligned to achieve expectations.
- Monitor activity to ensure work is being completed effectively, assist supervisors/managers with workload planning, make sure all deadlines are achieved.
- Reduce labor content by identifying productivity improvements that can be achieved through better execution, enhancing training/coaching, and by using best-practices and improved systems/equipment/technology.
- Manage the non-conformance and incident reporting process; ensure corrective and preventative actions are applied, ensure progressive discipline is managed effectively, and develop preventative actions for continuous improvement.
Clients & Business
- Participate in developing new business opportunities and be a strong advocate and promoter for the business.
- Communicate with Business Development Manager on existing client issues, reporting changes noted.
- Ensure that the no revenue leakage exists, and warehouse and customer service work together to capture all revenue.
- Recognize and develop potentials for business diversification and new service offerings for future growth in both revenue volume and profitability.
- Inspect and ensure that staffing is relative to the work volume, and ensure supervisors are making necessary adjustments to hours utilized.
- Develop people and their careers; provide guidance for employee relations including counseling for career and succession planning, training/cross-training, and conflict resolution. Provide supervisors and managers with coaching and guidance to develop the next generation of leaders within the business unit.
- Ensure that daily and weekly meetings are conducted to keep warehouse and customer service focused and communicating effectively and inspect that warehouse supervisors are communicating efficiently with their warehouse teams on a very regular basis.
Facilities, Equipment & Safety
- Work with Safety Manager to cultivate practices and procedures to ensure a safe workplace; reducing WCB premiums and complying with client required safety criteria.
- Ensure all food products are protected by ensuring the GMP program is reviewed, trained, managed, maintained, and inspected to ensure that food products are protected from Food Safety risks as identified in the Food Defense Vulnerability Assessment.
- Manage all physical assets, provide support to warehouses for maintenance logs/recaps, inspect that preventive maintenance programs are effective, and provide recommendations for new/replacement assets.
- Inspect the maintenance program for all buildings. Ensure that inspection processes are performed, facility binders are maintained and comply with company standards, and that controls are in place to manage all facility contractors and scheduled maintenance programs.
- Inspect housekeeping for property and equipment, and ensure standards set by senior management are met. Ensure security of building and property is maintained at all times. Act on security threats immediately.
- Prepare and submit all required reports on time and accurately.
- Be an advocate for continuous improvement and provide management with recommendations for changes. Accept direction from management and be the driver for improvement in all areas of the business.
- Review monthly financial reports, provide analysis, and submit recommendations for strategic actions that will improve future results. Conduct quarterly costing reviews of each client account with the Business & Client Development Manager and supporting staff and recommend strategic actions to improve future results.
- Participate in management meetings and leadership meetings as requested.
- Participate in the annual budget preparation process, for revenue and cost alignment.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Develop and increase the strength and stability of the team where staff engagement and accountability are at an optimal level.
- Obtain a clear understanding of the value of the customer service department and create the link to operations within the organization.
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships with leadership, colleagues, stakeholders, and direct reports.
- Create and implement a continuous improvement plan resulting in demonstrated activities that benefit operations.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education in business or related field considered an asset.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a leadership capacity in logistics, distribution, transportation, or related industry preferred.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, roll-up-your-sleeves management style with a focus on problem solving in a team culture.
- Capable of transformational leadership, able to extract the best performance out of a team.
- Ability to thrive in a very fast-paced high-demand environment.
- Strong work ethic, lead-by-example attitude.
- Operationally strong with solid judgement and track record that proves it.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence people and have them respond with their best performance.
- Determined focus on and demonstrated ability to hold people accountable for fulfilling expectations.
- Technology skills (with SAP, WMS, TMS, ERP and MS-Office) suitable to a senior management role.
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- A transformation agent
- A self-starter who takes initiative
- Firm but fair
- Highly accountable
- Strategic and operational performer
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Confident, self-sufficient with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- A coach and mentor; helps others to succeed
- Open to innovative ways of doing things
- Continuous learning mindset
- Looks for solutions instead of blame
- Cultivates team knowledge, sharing and trust
- Detail oriented
- Team focused
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Full time on site with minimal travel to other locations.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Porter Warehousing & Distribution Inc. in the role of General Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #AVMO-267031.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *