Job ID 5680
A&H Steel is a fully integrated, full-service rebar provider that specializes in the supply, fabrication, and installation of reinforcing steel in the residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. The foundation of A&H Steel was laid in 1970, and neither basic rebar nor A&H’s commitment to their customers’ success and satisfaction has changed.
At A&H they have the expertise and capacity to handle projects of all scope and complexity from simple grade beam and slab construction to the largest industrial plants and state-of-the-art professional sports facilities. Their recent expansion to Maple Ridge B.C. has secured their position as a key player in the reinforcing industry, leveraging their expertise and increasing their capacity to better serve the needs of the western Canadian construction industry.
A&H Steel Vancouver is a partnership between A&H Steel Edmonton, Whitewater Concrete and Syber Concrete. Whitewater Concrete and Syber Concrete are both leaders in the form-work concrete industry, each having 25 years of experience operating residential and commercial projects across the Lower Mainland. Together these companies share a century of industry expertise, successful track records and an ongoing commitment to their people and their customers.
With the opening of the Maple Ridge facility, A&H Steel Vancouver is committed to being an outstanding provider of reinforcing steel in the Lower Mainland. The facility is well equipped with top-of-the line machinery, in a bright shop environment right next to the Fraser River. They strive for excellence in their on-time delivery of an exceptional product, safely manufactured by people who are dedicated to their customers’ peace of mind.
A&H Steel team members are filled with pride, dedication, commitment, and loyalty, and live the core values of the organization:
I Say It, I Mean It
I Own It
Bigger Than Myself
I Give a S#*! About Others
I Will Choose Happiness Each Day
For more information on A&H Steel please visit: www.ah-steel.com
A & H Steel is committed to creating a values-driven approach to its Human Resources and people development efforts. The Vancouver Senior HR Business Partner will report to the People Development & Engagement Executive and will support the Vancouver Vice President of Operations to maintain, enhance and continuously improve their human resource practices, policies, and programs. You will ensure that A & H Steel (Vancouver) practices remain compliant with all provincial and federal legislation while focusing on building the best employee experience. As the Senior HR Business Partner, you are constantly looking for ways to help employees and you live the A & H purpose and values through their people development programs, coaching and mentoring. You will work closely with the People Development & Engagement Manager based in Edmonton for succession planning, learning and development, employee engagement initiatives.
You will lead a current team of two including a Field Coordinator an HR Administrator.
- Understand business needs at all levels of the organization and translate them into actionable HR priorities.
- Provide strategic and operational HR support and guidance to managers and employees in all functional areas of HR including Employee Relations, Labour Relations, Performance Management, Progressive Discipline, Recruitment & Selection, Talent Management, Workforce Planning, Compensation & Benefits, Organization Effectiveness, Change Management, and work closely with the People Development & Engagement Manager for learning and development and employee engagement initiatives.
- Oversee and support full cycle recruitment initiatives in Vancouver working alongside the Field Coordinator in ensuring recruitment and hiring are meeting the needs of operations.
- Stay abreast of the market including assessing and researching the industry and competitors to ensure A&H remains competitive in the industry with compensation and benefits.
- Ensure new employees are onboarded effectively, including preparing onboarding manuals, and scheduling new hire orientations, to build an exceptional employee experience resulting in retention.
- Lead the employee annual performance review process ensuring executive and leadership are trained and supported for productive conversations, documentation and ensuring completion.
- Assist with employee salary reviews and perform market comparisons.
- Assist with workforce planning and budgeting.
- Lead the resolution of employee relations issues
- Conduct workplace investigations and provide guidance and recommendations to managers and employees, as appropriate, to resolve issues.
- Prepare all termination, and disciplinary paperwork and assist leadership with the employee meetings.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of A&H Steel’s policies and procedures ensuring they are outlined in the employee handbook.
- Stay up to date on new laws and changes to employment standards and help create or amend policies and procedures.
- Support organizational effectiveness and change management activities.
- Order IT equipment for new hires and arrange for appropriate computer access.
- Work alongside the People Development & Engagement Manager to source courses and training for employees.
- Manage Job Grant applications and closeouts.
- Be on-site periodically in the plant and at project site.
Documentation & Reporting
- Support payroll to get accurate documentation for payroll adjustments, wage increases, relocations, and new employee payroll information.
- Manage all offer letters and termination letters to ensure their accuracy and compliance with BC legislation and company policies.
- Create and maintain job descriptions for every role in the company and help maintain employee files.
- Assist with tracking employee leave of absences and communicate leaves with payroll.
- Maintain competency records for each department.
- Maintain succession planning/career mapping documents.
- Develop and report on HR metrics using the HR dashboard.
Employee Benefit Support
- Knowledge and understanding of employee benefit and insurance plans for the purpose of administration.
- Knowledge and understanding of company RRSP plan for the purpose of administration.
- Manage documentation related to offer letters, termination letters, position changes, and verification letters.
Health & Safety
- Ensure all staff and visitors adhere to A & H Steel’s Health & Safety plan.
- Ensure good housekeeping is kept performing work safely and efficiently.
- Work with Health & Safety department initiatives.
- Participate in IOHS Committee meetings and forward concerns to appropriate managers for action and follow up.
- Understand safety policies and protocols.
- Help with psychological wellbeing initiatives, training and support.
- Answer employee questions regarding compensation and benefits, health & safety, company policies and HR best practices while ensuring strict confidentiality.
- Work closely with management and act as a trusted advisor.
- Attend all shop toolbox meetings.
- Work with Production Manager to improve communication in the shop.
- Assist with employee coaching conversations.
- Assist with performance management process.
- Help with company communication as needed.
- Create communication letters about hour changes for the shop staff if needed.
Values, Purpose & Vision
- Focus on developing self and others through practicing living the company values of Authenticity, Integrity, Responsibility, Being Bigger than Myself, and Happiness every day.
- Participate in continuous trainings, coaching and discussions about the values as requested.
- Help A&H achieve its vision of being the company everyone wants to work for and work with.
- Practice living the purpose of elevating people every day.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Complete A&H’s “Being a Leader” program.
- Support the Production Manager in recruitment, selection, and hiring a value aligned team; along with supporting the Manager in having productive conversations with the existing team to fulfill on the employee experience vision and operational needs.
- Build trust and demonstrate HR value with the leadership team and staff by demonstrating your knowledge, care, and accountability to your word.
- Bring your expertise with HR in identifying gaps and opportunities for improvement to ensure A&H is managing risk, creating an exceptional employee experience, living its values and is proactive in supporting the operational needs of the business.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education in business or human resources is required.
- CPHR designation is required with equivalent experience being considered.
- 5+ years progressive experience in human resources having worked in a leadership capacity.
- Experience in industrial construction and/or a plant manufacturing environment would be ideal.
- Must be willing to walk the shop floor and periodically be on project sites to build relationships with leadership and staff and to build knowledge, to learn, to be available and to support operations effectively.
- Completion of any personal development programs that focus on emotional intelligence, self-awareness, accountability, coaching, and/or relationship development is strongly recommended.
- Experience in labour relations would be considered an asset.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Solid knowledge and understanding of employment standards and regulations.
- Must truly enjoy working with people and have a strong desire to see others succeed.
- Experience dealing professionally with confidential information.
- Practice authentic listening.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Detail oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with others.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Eager to learn and research new information and technologies when asked.
- Strong MS Office skills and experience.
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
- Highly accountable.
- Displays ethical leadership and loyalty to organization.
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs.
- Respectful of others.
- Positive attitude and energy.
- Leads by example and motivates the team.
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision.
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations.
- Exhibits sound judgment.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Maple Ridge, British Columbia
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join A&H Steel (Vancouver) in the role of the Senior HR Business Partner, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AILR-428386.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 587-200-0114 ext. 101.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *