Job ID 5385
Our client, AltaSteel was founded in 1955 as Premier Steel Mills Ltd. Before 1955, all steel made in North America was made via blast furnace process from iron ore. However, by 1955, electricity generating facilities and distributing grids became massive enough to make electric furnace steelmaking practical and economical; Premier Steel Mills Ltd became the first steel mill in North America to use an electric arc furnace process to melt and refine scrap steel and then hot-roll the steel into final product shapes.
This process became known as the “mini-mill” process and represented perhaps the most significant step forward in steelmaking technology in the past 50 years. The mini mill process now accounts for over 60% of the steel produced in North America. This pioneering effort was recognized in 2004 by the American Society of Materials (ASM), which honoured the AltaSteel facility by designating it as an historical landmark.
In 2011, Arrium Limited (formerly known as OneSteel) acquired AltaSteel and merged the business with its international Moly-Cop Group of companies. In 2017 American Industrial Partners (AIP) acquired the MolyCop Group of companies including AltaSteel Ltd. and changed the name of the legal entity to MolyCop AltaSteel Ltd.; however, continuing to do business as AltaSteel. In 2020 AltaSteel was acquired by Kyoei Steel Ltd. who subsequently changed the name of the legal entity to AltaSteel Inc.
AltaSteel is a producer of rolled steel long products for the mining, construction, automotive and engineering industries. Based in Edmonton, Alberta the company operates steelmaking, hot rolling and heat treatment facilities and has an installed production capacity in excess of 330,000 net tons/year. Our client has been operating since 1955, and currently employs approximately 360 people on their team.
For further information on the AltaSteel Inc., please visit their website at www.altasteel.com.
The Maintenance Manager will report to the Director of Engineering & Maintenance and is responsible for all matters relating to maintenance within the facility. This position requires a highly motivated individual who can challenge the current methods and take initiative to improve the overall quality of the maintenance processes.
This position is responsible for working alongside the organization’s operational department to provide technical support and guidance in areas which support process, manufacturing, continuous improvement, and quality assurance. The successful candidate will have a total team of approximately 25-35 unionized staff in addition to 6 salaried positions.
- Manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of the maintenance department within the plant.
- Manage to key performance metrics ensuring standards are being achieved in the areas of preventative maintenance, shutdowns, quality, safety, and financial impact.
- Drive the commitment to improved asset utilization via improved equipment reliability and effective operations staff.
- Identify areas of opportunity to develop and initiate strategic projects that address areas of reliability, process improvement, safety, and quality.
- Preserve the condition of the plant by monitoring the operational care and by providing priorities to shift maintenance staff.
- Monitor and adjust the operating parameters to ensure machine control within design limits, and product quality control.
- Plan for and execute on plant maintenance shutdowns.
- Manage capital projects alongside daily activities to meet organizational objectives.
- Prepare and manage the departmental budget.
- Develop the skills and capability of the members of the team.
- Promote a department culture that allows members to feel engaged and included while striving for high performance.
- Act as a first point of contact for Supervisors.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Accountable to KPIs in terms of safety, timing, budget, quality, and preventative maintenance.
- Lead the team fairly and consistently, providing mentorship and establishing a cohesive group that is engaged and striving towards the key performance metrics and organizational goals.
- Develop positive and productive relations with the union.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Related education including but not limited to a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET), a bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a Certified Journeyman Millwright or Electrician.
- A Certified Reliability Maintenance Professional (CRMP) or Maintenance Management Professional (MMP) certification would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience leading a maintenance department in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in leading within a unionized environment is necessary to be successful in this role.
- Exposure to hydraulics or combustion systems is an asset.
- Experience in reliability and root cause analysis would be beneficial.
- Proactive mindset geared towards safety.
- Experience in managing major projects while setting and maintaining priorities.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong time management skills, ability to plan appropriately, handle multiple tasks efficiently and work well under pressure.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are essential.
- Outstanding relationship building capabilities and a collaborative working style.
- Strong work ethic, high level of enthusiasm and ability to excel in a flexible, fast paced environment.
- Confident, self-sufficient with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Firm but fair
- Highly accountable
- Displays integrity and ethical leadership
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Strategic and operational performer
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision, and act as a team player with a helpful and positive attitude
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Excellent relationship building skills
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a permanent, full-time position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, with the successful individual being open to flexibility in working hours based on the needs of their team operating on different shift schedules.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join this company in the role of the Maintenance Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AJKA-420152. Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *