Job ID 6194
Our client, Tokyo Smoke is an award-winning, design focused, recreational cannabis retailer. All involved believe cannabis is good, and your individual personalized shopping experience should be nothing short of great. Since legalization at Tokyo Smoke, they work everyday to change the public’s perception of recreational cannabis, through well-designed store layouts and an immersive retail experience. The brand has come a long way, always with the core belief that intentional cannabis use can better people’s lives. Tokyo Smoke empowers consumers to make well-informed decisions about safe high-quality products.
Experiencing high growth and having that entrepreneurial spirit, the company has grown rapidly and has expanded to 70+ retail locations in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Newfoundland. With recreational cannabis use now legal in Canada, what started as a tiny Tokyo Smoke storefront now stands to change cannabis culture in a big way.
For more information on Tokyo Smoke please visit their website: www.ca.tokyosmoke.com.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources in Edmonton, the Manager, Human Resources will be located in Toronto and will provide overall HR support to Tokyo Smoke leading a small team of HR Generalists and Coordinators that support the day-to-day HR needs of the retail stores. The Manager, Human Resources will be responsible for leading all aspects of the human resources function including recruitment, onboarding, retention, learning & development, labour relations, employee relations, compensation and benefits, and performance management. This position will provide consultation and guidance to management, offering a local point of contact for HR matters and services. The successful candidate will have a strategic mindset but is an effective implementer and tactician.
- Lead Tokyo Smoke leaders and store owners on all HR functional areas including workforce planning, recruitment, termination, employee relations, organizational effectiveness, talent management, training and development and performance management.
- Act as primary business partner to the leaders in driving their business forward and deliver results.
- Act as a culture champion by leading by example.
- Ensuring to execute on OEG Human Resources/Payroll/Benefits vision and are implementing processes similar across the board and ensuring the core OEG HR/P/B fundamentals are being practiced.
- Alongside SVP, People and Culture, and under the direction of the Director, HR, support the administration of employee compensation programs and incentive/reward pay programs
- Leads the disability management process for assigned entity
- Alongside Director, HR and SVP, People & Culture, support creation of a Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Belonging strategy and programs for staff to foster an inclusive culture
- Instill a culture that values people, and a talent mindset. This includes effective recruitment, onboarding, development, and reporting.
- Provide support to identify and develop high performers.
- Leads the small HR team in Ontario, in all daily operational Human Resource functions
- Manages and handles all levels and types of employee relations issues, including workplace investigations.
- Align Tokyo Smoke practices with Employment Standards and employee relations strategies in the best interest of the company.
- In collaboration with the HR team, provides guidance on the interpretation of the Collective Agreement in the Union stores.
- Develop and lead training and development strategy and initiatives for all Tokyo Smoke stores in partnership with Central Operations team.
- Research best practices in all HR areas, providing information and reports on findings as directed.
- Coordination of the recruitment process for selected positions; including recruitment, selection, follow-ups, and reporting
- Provides consistent HR support on employee relations and performance management issues, including supporting Store Managers through progressive discipline processes and leave of absence situations.
- Drives the HR strategy and practical implementation of acquisition of stores.
- Collaborates with Edmonton HR team to execute HR processes and associated activities, as required.
- Responsible for administering ongoing compensation changes and annual compensation review process.
- Assists the Director, Human Resources in interpreting, assisting, and advising employees and managers regarding employment policy and procedures at OEG.
- Responsible for maintaining all related HR metrics (recruitment, termination, leave of absence, vacation).
- Provides support in conducting research into classification, reclassification, and criteria research for all current and new positions.
- Interprets, assists, and advises employees and managers regarding employment policy and procedures.
- Responsible for leading the strategy of and managing Tokyo Smoke employee engagement initiatives.
- Organizes and supervises the maintenance of department records, ensuring accuracy and confidentiality.
- Prepare, coordinate, and assist employee groups in the administration performance appraisals of employees.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Assess the current state of the business to gain an understanding of the priorities which may include and are not limited to labour relations, leadership development, workforce planning, succession planning and growth.
- Build a trusting relationship with the executive and store leadership team, demonstrating the value HR can bring to the business.
- Demonstrate resiliency in a dynamic and growth focused business that is evolving and changing along with its industry.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the objectives of Tokyo Smoke and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and personal attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business or HR, or equivalent experience; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressive HR Generalist experience, preferably in a related industry
- 3 years experience working in a leadership capacity or having shown leadership attributes.
- CPHR designation is an asset.
- Proven ability to act as the single point of contact for Human Resources.
- Experience with part-time and full-time employees in a retail or comparable environment.
- Experience operating in a unionized environment would be an asset.
- Experience within a dynamic environment: building, implementing and strategizing HR processes and procedures.
- Must have a working knowledge of the Ontario Employment Standards Act
- Experience and understanding of confidential information handling and storage.
- Solid experience in driving positive employee relations, to include strong problem solving.
- Highly self-motivated, with an ability to prioritize and work well under pressure.
- Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills including experience with Excel, HRIS systems and other Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to adapt to change in job duties.
- Ability to travel to various retail locations across Ontario.
- Team player
- Builds trust.
- Customer focused
- Self- motivated
- High integrity
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Tokyo Smoke works in a hybrid model spending time in office on Tues/Wed/Thurs with work from home on Mon/Fri. In addition, you will spend occasional time visiting the retail stores located in the Ontario region. For this reason, the successful candidate must reside in the GTA.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Tokyo Smoke in the role of Manager, Human Resources, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AENM-535086.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Tammy Berge at 587-200-0114 ext. 103.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *