Job ID 707
MANAGER, HUMAN RESOURCES – EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – EDMONTON, AB
Our client, Edmonton Airports (“EA”) operates Edmonton International Airport (“EIA”), the surrounding land development (AKA their aerotropolis or airport city) and Villeneuve Airport. The Edmonton International Airport is Canada’s fifth-busiest airport, serving over 8.2 million passengers (in its record year in 2014) with their long-term goal being to serve 10 million passengers by 2025. Employing 250-300 people on a regular basis; along with generating economic development and over 4500 jobs within the airport city; they are proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for several years in a row.
Driving the region’s economic prosperity through aviation and commercial development.
More flights to more places.
10 million annual enplaned and deplaned passengers by 2025.
Safety and security first: To ensure that the safety and security of their customers, staff, facilities, and environment is a primary concern in all aspects of doing business.
Own the outcome: They are motivated by customer expectations in providing quality facilities and services in a customer-sensitive and service driven manner.
Doing the right things right: To be accountable for all their actions including financial management and to act honestly and respectfully in business relations, usage of resources, treatment of customers and each other, and in the general conduct of business.
Invested in talent: People are their most important resource; they work together to foster an open and cooperative environment that encourages teamwork, communication, and mutual respect.
Dedicated to sustainability: To be committed to responsibly managing all assets to advance the region’s environmental stewardship, social well-being, and economic prosperity.
For further information on the Edmonton International Airport, please visit their website at www.flyeia.com.
EA’s Human Resources team is known as leading and progressive within the North American Airport industry. The Human Resources Team is demographically balanced, stratified in terms of development and career pathing, and has remained established for approximately 4 years after being completely re-established 6 years ago in support of a new organizational strategy and people direction.
EA is currently hiring a term (18-month) full-time Manager, Human Resources, to join its Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness Team. Reporting to the Vice-President of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness, the Manager, Human Resources will be responsible for leading the human resources delivery team and in ensuring the integration and direction of human resources activities while managing the alignment with Edmonton Airport’s strategic plans and objectives.
The Manager, Human Resources is also responsible for maintaining and enhancing the organization’s human resources by: planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs and practices, and for the development of processes and metrics which support the achievement of the organization’s goals. This role is key in supporting engagement and culture initiatives to deliver outstanding employee experiences and ensure Edmonton Airport is a top employer.
Services for Employees:
- Establish open and trusting partnerships with all levels of leaders to ensure effective and consistent practices within the Human Resources team of Managers and Business Partners.
- Manage and resolve escalated employee and labour relations cases in accordance with relevant policy, resolution procedures and organizational values, and in alignment with Federal Employment Standards and the Collective Agreement(s).
- Collaborate with and provide input to Human Resources business clients on the continuous improvement of Human Resource’s practices, processes, and programs.
- Ensure the Human Resources Team champions Edmonton Airport employee programs and that effective and engaging communications and actions plans are in place to encourage employees to take advantage of these offerings.
- Manage Edmonton Airport’s policies both updating and maintenance to ensure that they are relevant and mitigate risk to the airports while balancing with a great employee experience.
Performance Management & Metrics:
- Lead talent management initiatives including the development of a robust and progressive performance management process, consistent and ongoing talent assessment, and succession planning.
- Ensure planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results in training managers to coach and counsel employees and managers, and resolve employee grievances effectively.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource Federal and Provincial requirements; conducting investigations; maintaining records; representing the organization at hearings.
- Develop, monitor, analyze, interpret, and report Human Resource metrics and trends internally and externally and make appropriate recommendations to capitalize on opportunities, mitigate risk and resolve issues.
- Responsible for the creation of Human Resources reports and analytics, using existing spreadsheet and Avanti systems, providing Human Resources analytics and recommendations, and identify trends and action plans to share with leadership.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and/or participating in professional societies.
- Review and proactively manage key indicators (injuries, claim costs, etc.) with the disability management team.
- Lead and oversee the Disability Management programs and service providers, manage, and resolve escalated cases.
- Is the first point of contact for the Human Resources Business Partners and local union representatives should a Labour Relations issue arise. Provides direction on any Labour Relations issues in conjunction with the VP Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness.
- Is involved appropriately throughout the negotiations process, grievances, mediations, or any arbitrations and is able to serve as lead negotiator as required.
- Build bench strength within the team; maintain a healthy succession plan within the department developing promotable talent.
- Ensure direct reports are coaching team members and managers appropriately to align with the overall corporate strategy.
- Holds the team accountable for performance metrics and deliverables.
Staffing, Onboarding & Offboarding:
- Establishes, guides, adapts, and monitors recruitment and selection processes that result in a top-quality client and candidate experience and ultimately secures an aligned and top talent team for the organization.
- Works closely with the Human Resources Business Partners to ensure that all new employees receive a welcoming and informative onboarding experience, and that the program is relevant and updated on a regular basis.
- Ensures there are efficient procedures in place for both managers and employees during the offboarding process.
- Utilizes metrics for exiting employees to collect data that will continue to ensure Edmonton Airport employment brand is maintained.
Culture and Engagement:
- Lead the team in assessing and understanding employee engagement and pro-actively supporting client groups in implementing appropriate best practice engagement objectives and action plans.
- Works pro-actively with the Human Resources Business Partners to ensure client groups have the training and support to improve team effectiveness and engagement.
- Ensure the Human Resources Team promotes, champions and models Edmonton Airport’s desired culture traits.
- Hire, train, inspire and coach team members.
- Provides direction, integrates, and oversees the annual Human Resources business and work plans.
- Ensures the team has sufficient skills and experience to meet department objectives.
- Provides performance management; and completes regular reviews on direct reports.
- Ensure knowledge transfer and retention in the team.
- Manages succession and career development.
- Facilitates communication and works closely with other Managers and Team.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Completion of the human resources business plan that supports the organizational business plan; planning process commencing in September 2017 for execution throughout 2018.
- Talent acquisition, selection and onboarding improvements to programs, training, and documentation
- Enterprise-wide workforce plan (via business partners) including current and future capabilities, redundant roles, and retirement plans
- Enterprise-wide engagement action plan based on specific drivers
- Human Resource analytics – quarterly and annual reporting
- Updated policies and HR programs/services realigning to evolving organizational strategies and business needs (strategically aligning human resource programs and services)
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the Edmonton Airport and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and personality profile:
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources Certification (CPHR) is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field is required.
- A Master’s degree with a focus on, business, leadership and/or human resources would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years in a senior Human Resources role within a medium to large organization; with a minimum of 3 years in leadership.
- Comprehensive knowledge in the areas of employment law, organizational planning, labour relations, and performance management.
- Proven ability to deliver and manage projects from inception to completion.
- Experience demonstrating the client management model: mobilizing the best people and integrating the tools and processes required to meet the needs of the organization.
- Business driven with strong financial acumen.
- Proven utilization of human resource metrics to assess and improve the performance of human resource programs and keeping business leaders apprised of any changes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide pragmatic business solutions to complex human resource issues in a dynamic, fast-paced, and service-driven environment.
- Excellent facilitation skills with a demonstrated ability to lead groups through complex change.
- Proven expertise in strategic planning, complex problem resolution and general management.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to build strong, trusting relationships with all stakeholders.
- Proven ability to utilize creativity when faced with human resource challenges.
- Demonstrated facilitation of formal and informal presentations to all levels of management.
- High level of interpersonal skills and integrity; solid team player.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor human resource professionals and operational leaders.
- Strong project management skills.
- Digital champion – a high level of proficiency with newer and progressive human resource technology, human resource Information systems, excellent skills in MS Office – Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Confidence and humility; a values- based leader.
- Genuinely cares about people and sees the good in people.
- Collaborative – can truly “partner” with the business to integrate human resources into the organization (does not operate human resources as a separate function, but rather as an integral part of the business) and can partner successfully with other human resource leaders and sub teams.
- FUN, naturally approachable.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Edmonton International Airport – Edmonton, Alberta
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Edmonton Airports in the role of the Manager, Human Resources, please email your resume to email@example.com referencing Position ID# ADDC-874602.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 1-877-217-5551 ext. 101. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit our website at www.profoundtalent.com.