Job ID 5165
Our Client, Applus+ is a global leader in the Testing, Inspection and Certification sector delivering non-destructive testing, inspection, engineering, and manpower services to the aerospace, power, and oil and gas industries. They are a trusted partner who enhances the quality and safety of their clients’ assets and infrastructures while safeguarding their operations. They deliver this through their technical capabilities, innovative approach, and their motivated team who are committed to operational excellence.
Applus+ has achieved a significant global presence and a leading position in its target markets and regions. As a result, their teams have expanded with approximately 19,000 professionals across the world, attracting the very best talent in the industry. Applus+ is comprised of four divisions including Automotive, Energy & Industry, IDIADA, and Laboratories. With headquarters located in Spain, this global company offers a complete portfolio of solutions that address a range of needs, from asset integrity management to statutory compliance-based inspections in over 70 countries. Canadian head office operations are located in Edmonton and reach approximately 800 employees seasonally from coast to coast.
For more information on Applus+ please visit their website: https://www.applus.com/global/en/
The Payroll Manager will report to the Director of Finance and is responsible for the timely and accurate administration and processing of the weekly payroll and all related activities for a multi-site, union environment. The successful individual proactively ensures organizational goals and departmental needs are met; as well as legislative and union reporting requirements by identifying the delivery needs and dealing with issues proactively and providing solutions.
The Payroll Manager is a “hands on” Manager who will supervise a small team of Payroll Administrators. You will maintain positive relationships with employees and managers by ensuring the department reflects superior customer service, employee confidentiality, and professional corporate representation at all times. Due to the restrictive timelines involved with this position, overtime may occasionally be required.
- Responsible for the processing of the weekly payroll for approximate 500-600 salaried and hourly employees within tight timelines.
- Oversee the collection and data entry of timesheets and ensure a high degree of accuracy.
- Ensure compliance with company policies, corporate governance procedures, collective agreements, and legislative and government requirements.
- Respond to or supervise responses to employee or manager concerns and inquiries in a timely manner and solve payroll discrepancies with a focus on providing positive customer service to all staff.
- Perform account reconciliation and remittance for the Group Benefit plans, union dues, pension, WCB, etc.
- Prepare, verify, and ensure accuracy of monthly QCCC Union reports.
- Review Payroll Registers and invoices from the Payroll Provider.
- Ensure reports and data requested by Corporate Team and other Departments are provided on time.
- Lead with payroll related account reconciliation and accruals and work closely with Finance Department to align these deliverables.
- Proactively establish and implement policies and procedures ensuring departmental needs are met and payroll process best practices are followed.
- Stay current with all aspects of Canadian payroll legislation, privacy laws and benefit administration and apply continuous learning strategies along with current collective bargaining agreement changes and reporting as required.
- Maintain company designated payroll data systems for updates, corporate and legal compliance, and accuracy.
- Comply with federal, provincial, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Take a lead or key role in payroll-related systems improvements, including implementation of new software(s).
- Maintain strict confidentiality of employee information and compensation practices.
- Supervise Payroll Administrator(s).
- Attend to urgent business needs & other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary.
- Adhere to organizational policies and procedures, including but not limited to Applus+ Code of Ethics and Confidentiality Agreements.
- Flexible to render overtime, as deemed necessary.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Full understanding of business operations and the role payroll plays within each business unit.
- Take ownership of full cycle payroll with a commitment to meeting corporate needs while prioritizing urgencies to meet business deliverables.
- Gain a solid understanding of union processes.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a pressurized environment that moves fast where quick turnarounds are required.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post secondary education in Business Administration, Commerce, or related field.
- CPM designation preferred.
- 5+ years’ hands on payroll experience in a supervisory or management role.
- Multi-provincial union payroll experience required.
- Equivalent experience combined with other formal training and accreditations may be accepted.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Strong understanding of complex collective agreements.
- Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Applus+.
- Exhibits honesty, discretion, confidentiality, and sound judgment.
- Solid understanding of payroll procedures including demonstrated experience in legislation interpretation.
- Knowledgeable of federal and provincial payroll regulations and related tax law and employment standards application.
- Proven team leadership skills and the ability to influence others at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent customer service focus with the ability to quickly build strong working relationships with business partners and colleagues.
- A sense of urgency, good attention to detail, excellent organizational and analytical skills, pragmatic, eager to learn.
- Ability to be multifunctional and to work with appropriate departments for the improvement of systems and processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and professional relationships with other management staff, employees, and the general public.
- Adapt in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage competing priorities and multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Ability to excel in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office and other software applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills matched with the ability to negotiate and build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- Enjoys change and leading others through it
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Strategic and operational performer
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Applus+ in the role of Payroll Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AHYY-481611.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *