Job ID 1372
ProFound Talent Inc. is proud to be working with our client, All Weather Windows. Having started with a 9-person operation and a 10, 000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility in 1978, they have grown to a national operation with over 1000 employees and awarded as a “Best Managed Company” for the past 10 years reaching platinum level in excellence. With their headquarters in Edmonton, All Weather Windows Ltd. (AWW) is a dynamic leader in the window and door industry in Canada. Operations include two manufacturing plants located in Edmonton with Customer Solution Centres in Langley, Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Regina, and Winnipeg.
In 2008, All Weather Windows Commercial Ltd. (AWWC) was created to service its growth in large-scale commercial clients. Specializing in commercial glazing solutions, All Weather Windows Commercial provides a wide variety of products for high rises, commercial, retail store fronts, multi-unit residential structures, hospitality, industrial and more. The Commercial Division installs window systems into Commercial properties as a subcontractor to both general contractors and property developers.
In 2015 All Weather Windows purchased Canadian Insulated Glass (CIG) and rebranded as All Weather Windows Glass which manufactures a wide range of specialty glass products for residential and commercial applications.
Why work with All Weather Windows?
Opportunity: AWW is a growing company, taking on bigger projects and creating opportunities for their employees. As one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies you can be assured that you are joining a stable employer that will be around for years to come.
Safety: All Weather Windows has obtained a Certificate of Recognition (COR) from the Workers’ Compensation Board in all their locations and safety is their #1 priority.
Respect: They are committed to providing a positive and enjoyable workplace. Whether you are working in the office, shop or the field, you can expect to be treated with respect and dignity.
Community: At All Weather Windows, their vision is to improve the lives of families, one family at a time. They are about empowerment. They want to set individuals up for long term success by providing assistance to health and wellness initiatives, supporting students in their career specific studies, helping children and families below the poverty line, and by devoting time to aid in the construction of shelter for those in need. They have looked to their incredible community for support when they started and now it is their privilege to offer a helping hand.
Growth: All Weather Windows is continuing to grow and make change to thrive and be a leader in the Canadian market. With this comes opportunity to operate at a strategic level, to be involved in decisions and to be a part of the growth and build of the organization.
For further information on All Weather Windows, please visit their website at www.allweatherwindows.com or visit All Weather Windows Commercial at www.awwcommercial.com.
AWW is hiring a Plant Manager to lead their Plant 3 location in Edmonton, Alberta. This plant manufactures glass that services their internal customers being the main manufacturing plant and the commercial division and external customers. This position reports into the Vice President of Manufacturing and will be responsible for working very closely across the organization with the General Manager, Commercial; the Director, Supply Chain; the Director, Manufacturing and Research & Development. The Plant Manager will be responsible for understanding their customers needs and the outcomes required to service them effectively. It will be critical for the Plant Manager to work closely with the internal teams to ensure the client outcomes are being achieved.
The successful candidate must be able to take initiative with minimal guidance. You must have a customer service mentality that can influence by creating understanding. You take pride in holding yourself accountable to your promises and finding ways to make what appears the impossible, possible. You have grit meaning when obstacles present themselves, you think out of the box creating innovative solutions that overcome all challenges. No is never an answer and a challenge is never too big. In fact, you thrive on challenge and in bringing teams together to develop solutions. You operate with a forward-thinking mind proactively discerning the future state of the plant for fluctuations in production, maintenance planning and shutdown.
Your direct leadership team will consist of three Supervisors and a total team of 80 staff. You will be responsible for the manufacturing only with all receiving, purchasing, shipping, plant scheduling and planning being under the direction of your peers requiring you to work closely across the business. You will have strong business acumen understanding key performance metrics and how they are used to drive continuous improvement into the plant.
Direct all plant production, quality control, and maintenance activities:
- Review production schedules to ensure proper loading of the production lines and cost effectiveness;
- Ensure planned key production indicators for efficiency and performance (KPI) are met or exceeded;
- Analyze completed production daily to evaluate attainment of targets including completeness of reported production numbers;
- Brief management/supervisory team on a weekly basis of issues impacting their area(s) and take follow up action as needed to ensure completion of action items;
- lead process improvement initiatives;
- Keep abreast of customer service issues;
- Assess capacity utilization rates for current and projected production demands, recommend equipment changes and arrange for employee training needs;
- Coordinate changes to the plant floor layout in consultation with the VP Manufacturing, Production Supervisors Advise key stakeholders of the status of work in progress and any potential production problems to ensure that personnel, equipment, materials and services are provided as needed
- Provide solutions to planned scheduling conflicts immediately
- Provide alternative scheduling for conflicts that arise
- When required, deals directly with customers to arrive at a solution that is acceptable to both parties
Human Resource Management
- Ensure all positions are staffed with competent and effective individuals.
- Ensure all direct reports have annual performance goals that support corporate goals and objectives.
- Ensure consistent, ongoing feedback is provided to direct reports on their performance and related to annual goals to correct any deficiencies.
- Ensure all direct reports have appropriate development plans in place, as required.
- Provide direction, coaching and support to all direct reports to make them successful.
- Provide leadership to all departments.
- Manage requirements and workforce planning for all plant departments and monitor retention and turnover;
- Provide mentoring of employees in support of plant succession planning and work force strategies;
- Process salary changes in a timely manner and in accordance with HR policy and procedure;
- Ensure employee position descriptions are current and staff are aware of their duties, responsibilities and performance standards;
- Develop and implement change and restructuring initiatives. Ensure that change management planning is in place and managed to minimize impact of change on staff. Liaise with the VP Manufacturing and consult as needed with Human Resources;
- Establish cost effective manpower resources for all departments to meet operational needs.
Implement lean manufacturing principles and practices:
- Monitor product standards and implement quality control programs in consultation with the VP Manufacturing;
- Implement and drive continuous improvement activities through implementation of change management process and best practices. Ensure adherence with corporate production standards for consistency;
- Optimize resource utilization by implementation of an effective production organization;
- Ensure Lean principles are embedded in the cultural fabric of Plant #3.
- Communicate, model and consistently apply AWW corporate values, vision, policies and procedures;
- Set annual operational goals, objectives and action plans with employees and maintain accountability for objectives in support of corporate objectives;
- Ensure compliance with all organizational standards of work practice, policies and legal regulations;
- Monitor key indicators of plant performance as well as determine future requirements;
- Work collaboratively with cross functional departments to achieve corporate goals and objectives.
Assist in establishing and implementing the financial strategies and planning related to Plant 3:
- Develop and oversee the expense budget;
- Forecast, anticipate and plan for Plant 3’s future budget requirements;
- Maintain a system for tracking expenditures.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Develop a collaborative cross functional working team with the Director, Manufacturing; the Director, Supply Chain and Research & Development to work collectively and efficiently to service all customers to the highest level;
- Identify the areas of opportunity for growth, training and mentorship in the Supervisory team helping them to reach the skill level required to meet a culture of pro-activity and continuous improvement;
- Review current KPI’s, identify others needed and develop a monthly dashboard that will increase knowledge, proactive planning and continuous improvement into the plant operation.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of All Weather Windows and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and personal attributes:
- University degree in a related field such as Business or Engineering;
- A continuous improvement designation such as Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing would be ideal.
- 7+ years of leadership experience in a plant operation is required;
- 10+ years of experience within a manufacturing and production operation with demonstrated progression;
- Experience in discrete/custom manufacturing or production is required;
- Construction industry knowledge with an understanding of how to read plans would be ideal;
- Excellent data analysis, numeracy, business acumen, and financial analysis;
- Experience in strategic planning, operational execution, and budgeting;
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for operating plants;
- Able to lead root cause analysis investigations;
- Proficient with MS Office;
- Able to explain training material to operating staff;
- Aptitude for equipment operation and troubleshooting;
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast paced and diverse business;
- Able to adapt quickly and flex to a changing environment;
- Effective attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy;
- High level of integrity and accountability;
- Strong ability to influence;
- Excellent listening skills with ability to work collaboratively towards solutions;
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude;
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills;
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor;
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including conflict resolution, and people management skills;
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments and stakeholders;
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills;
- Exceptional analytical ability;
- Proven business leadership and acumen;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills;
- Problem solving;
- Results orientation and driven;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Ethics and integrity.
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
The successful candidate must be willing to attend leadership and planning retreats and some travel to other locations as deemed necessary.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join All Weather Windows in the role of the Plant Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AVPT-034706.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 587-200-0114 ext. 101. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
You Tube: ProFound Talent
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *