Job ID 1947
AFD Petroleum Ltd. (AFD) is an Alberta-owned independent provider of quality bulk fuel and lubricants supplemented with a variety of fluid handling equipment for storage and monitoring, with a dedicated fleet that delivers fuel in a safe and environmentally conscious manner. AFD’s business model spans a network of 15 diverse geographic branches across Western Canada, Yukon Territory, Alaska, & Texas. Through the network of branches, AFD has a variety of customers including gas stations, cardlocks, wholesale, commercial bulk users and residential users. AFD also has 12 AFD branded gas stations in British Colombia and is looking to rebrand additional independently owned gas stations in the future. AFD’s competitive advantage is that they custom tailor their fuel solutions to each customer’s specific needs which include process design and fuel storage. AFD also has a wide range of options for fuel delivery based on truck size, accessibility, and direct delivery from the refineries or storage tanks. This allows AFD to provide these deliveries as efficient and cost-effective, saving customers expense. AFD is proud to be celebrating its 30th anniversary as an Alberta based organization.
For further information on AFD Petroleum, please visit their website at www.afdpetroleum.com.
The Sales Manager will report to the President and is responsible for leading the company’s sales and development initiatives across the organization. The successful individual will be accountable for the overall sales, margin, revenue drivers within the organization, the profitable achievement of sales targets, and for aligning the sales team with the company’s overall business strategy. The Sales Manager will identify new business contracts, national, and/or large-scale project needs of customers, and work with their team in achieving all business and revenue goals for the company. In addition, the successful candidate will work with the management team throughout the entire life cycle of specific projects, ranging from strategic planning initiatives to tactical activities. This is a unique role in that the Sales Manager will also have some operational responsibility including overseeing Branch Managers in smaller locations that have sales and operational responsibility.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive internal and external sales strategy plan that would increase revenues and profits
- Hire, train and mentor a sales team of approximately 7 people while looking for opportunity to expand the team and market
- Maintain day-to-day departmental requirements, including contact management, proactive account management, and issue resolution
- Manage sales activities in a professional and proactive manner, while maintaining the Business Code of Ethics and meeting or exceeding targets
- Establish and maintain relationships, alongside your sales team, with existing and prospective contract, national, and/or large-scale project customers
- Plan and coordinate the implementation of business plans and the penetration of new markets
- Maintain current knowledge of competitor and industry activity to capitalize on market trends
- Provide market feedback to the company leadership regarding competitive offerings, prospect needs and generate product development ideas
- Assist with business plans for new product development
- Conduct meetings and forums with customers in order to solicit feedback, input, and expectations; incorporate these into strategic plans
- Coordinate cost-benefit analyses and risk analyses calculations to determine project feasibility
- Lead the planning of any event that highlights corporate services
- Local travel to various worksites and customer premises may be required
Note: This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Assess and develop a plan of action for each sales team and region, successfully liaising with the Marketing Consultant
- Development and implementation of an accountability program
- Create and implement an incentive program that is related to performance and accountability
- Achievement of growth targets for each region based on input from new Managers and Executive
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of AFD Petroleum and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Completion of a post-secondary related program with a focus in Business Management
- 3 – 5 years relevant sales leadership experience with the ideal candidate having experience in the oil and gas and/or industrial market
- 7 – 10 years previous and related experience in an outside sales capacity with a proven track record of success in meeting and/or exceeding sales targets and building strong customer relations
- Experience in a consultative sales role where building relationships is the key to success
- Demonstration of an innovative mindset where you seek solutions to problems and push through obstacles to create an innovative customer solution to meet their needs
Competencies and Knowledge
- Has knowledge of Business Organization and Business Practices
- Ability to effectively communicate with management and employees
- Can critically evaluate situations and make impartial decisions
- A relationship sales approach where you develop and maintain ongoing engagement with clients
- Ability to manage formal and informal communication channels with clients
- Skilled at collecting and analyzing information
- An aptitude to deal with ambiguity and make impartial decisions without having all information
- Ability to maintain a neutral stance during conflict
- Manages through conflict using constructive tools and establishing a cooperative environment
- Ability to align processes with an organization’s strategic goals
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Has a strong grasp on business ethics and ethical workplace behavior
- An entrepreneurial spirit, where change is the norm and welcomed
- Displays integrity and a high ethical standard
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- A coach and mentor; helps others to succeed
- Open to innovative ways of doing things
- Continuous learning mindset
- Looks for solutions instead of blame
- Cultivates team knowledge, sharing and trust
- Team focused
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
It is expected that the successful candidate will spend time with their sales team in the various geographic locations with travel expected to be approximately 30-50%.
While performing the duties of this role, you will regularly work in an office setting with regular travel to branch locations to work alongside and to mentor the sales team. There may be a need to attend to situations on work sites.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. As this is a leadership position, some hours of work may be outside of standard office hours. As this role is part of the leadership team, no overtime will be compensated.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join AFD Petroleum in the role of the Sales Manager, please email your resume to email@example.com referencing Position ID #ATUG-474011.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *