Job ID 5222
Our client, Clark Builders, is one of the top ten general contractors in Canada and part of the largest construction organization in North America. Clark Builders serves industrial, commercial, institutional, and multi-family residential market sectors. Through an ownership structure comprised of their employees and their partner, Turner Construction Company, they maintain the culture of a small company with the distinct capabilities of an international firm. Regardless of the size, sector, location, or complexity of a project, Clark Builders will confidently deliver.
For nearly 50 years their remarkable team, made up of individuals with unique talents and perspectives, have worked together every day to deliver exceptional, successful projects and experiences for their clients across Western and Northern Canada. Their clients’ success is their success. Through innovation, collaboration, and a true entrepreneurial spirit, they are not only redefining the construction experience, but are building a new one alongside their clients.
At Clark Builders they believe in a team-based approach to construction and a family-based approach to business. Their office and field teams are all local. Building the communities where they live, work and play is the most incredible privilege they get to experience. Ultimately, they are a community builder. Their teams demonstrate their core values while fostering connections with engagement and passion.
Their core values are:
- Have a Can-Do Attitude
- Respect Others
- Succeed as a Team
- Lead with Courage
- Deliver Results
At Clark Builders, they build Exceptional Experiences!
For further information on Clark Builders, please visit their website at www.clarkbuilders.com.
Reporting to the Chief Estimator, the Senior Estimator is responsible for providing Estimating services and leadership to aid and support the Business Development, Operations, and Estimating departments. The Senior Estimator will be part of the Estimating and Project team environments, providing and coordinating full estimating services on various projects and contract types.
The Senior Estimator is required to work on Conceptual Estimates, Construction Management, Design-Build Proposals and Hard Tendered (Lump Sum) Estimates, including quantity takeoffs, unit pricing, and sub-contractor pricing. The Senior Estimator will be part of the tender call and review of Supplier/Sub-Contractor quotes and awards.
- Maintain Sub-Contractors/Supplier
- Maintain unit price and productivity knowledge and database.
- Prepare accurate and complete estimates.
- Take part in Client meetings.
- Take part in project interviews, if necessary.
- Confer with Engineers, Architects and Owners on changes and adjustments to cost estimates and assist in the preparation of studies, materials methods, recommendations, and costs estimates as required.
- Prepare proposals and estimates for the Managers’ final approval prior to their presentation to potential Clients.
- Take part in Project Team meetings.
- Maintain Career Progression plan.
- Attend training courses as required by team leader.
- Assist in training for Estimating team.
- Maintain and upgrade estimating software as required.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships with team members, internal and external stakeholders, as well as trade partners.
- Full integration into the Business Development, Operations, and Estimating team as a valued asset for your positive, can-do attitude and impeccable work resulting in repeat client engagement.
- Able to produce high quality estimates, including conceptual estimates, in a timely manner utilizing minimal resources and data.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A Post-Secondary Certificate/Degree in Engineering or the equivalent of a designated Professional Engineer or a Technical School graduate in a Construction related discipline.
- 15+ years estimating experience with a General Contractor.
- Exposure or understanding of principles of lean thinking.
- Experience with coaching teams in collaborative planning.
- Experience with continued improvement.
- Experience with all Canadian Construction Contract types.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Ability to manage multiple workflows and tasks concurrently.
- Ability to prioritize workflows.
- Ability to manage deadlines for completion of assigned tasks.
- Comfortable working in a team environment.
- Thorough knowledge of company procedures, estimating techniques, all engineering disciplines, cost control systems, and contract types.
- Ability to lead in a team environment.
- Ability to estimate all types of projects/contracts, plus the ability to coordinate and supervise group work efforts is essential.
- Adapt to changing job requirements and direction from multiple sources.
- Ability to navigate software packages, including Word, Excel, OST, Microsoft Project, Bluebeam etc.
- Knowledge of scheduling logistics and ability to build accurate schedules.
- Ability to perform accurate quantity takeoffs both manually and electronically.
- Communicate professionally through verbal and written methods.
- Identify building materials and possible alternatives for cost reduction.
- Develop Sub-Contractor work scopes for tendering.
- Identify bonding and insurance requirements.
- Take part in tender closings.
- Understand Client requirements and incorporate requirements as may be necessary.
- Ability to chair and control meetings.
- Ability to visualize end products without drawings.
- Ability to schematically design and estimate project from client’s requirements.
- Able to derive alternate designs for cost or time savings.
- Ability to analyze risk associated to project.
- Ability to perform basic internet and intranet functions.
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- A continuous improvement mindset
- The ability to think critically with excellence in problem solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Cost management conscious
- Displays ethical leadership
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- Enjoys change and leading others through it
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Strategic and operational performer
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation and benefits package awaits the successful candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Clark Builders in the role of Senior Estimator, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # ACUW-413006.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *