Job ID 7042
Our client, Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac), is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America, with an average annual production of 640,000 tonnes of high-quality pulp.
Al-Pac is a leader in their industry since beginning operations in 1993, from their quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way the company grows and develops their team members and work with local communities. Al-Pac is continuously exploring new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility.
Vision: to be a good neighbour with $1 billion in diversified revenue by 2031.
Purpose: as stewards of the resources entrusted to us, we make a positive impact where we work and live.
Strategy: diversify revenues through investment in complementary industries creating a diversified business hub that is differentiated by environmental stewardship, social impact, and strong governance.
Values: Al-Pac is a values-based organization. Our values shape our culture and ensure that our decisions support our vision, purpose, and strategy:
- Inclusion: we leverage diverse perspectives to make the best decisions.
- Collaboration: we partner with others across the organization and work together to accomplish shared objectives.
- Achievement: we drive results.
- Growth: we champion a culture of learning and innovation.
For further information about Al-Pac, please visit their website at www.alpac.ca.
Reporting to the Director, Indigenous & Stakeholder Relations and Sustainability (ISRS), the position plays a key role in the development and implementation of corporate communications and organizational change management (OCM) strategies and plans in support of the company’s goals. This includes collaboration with internal clients and stakeholders to deliver high-quality, professional and impactful corporate communications and OCM services and products, as well as coordinating and managing communications and OCM external resources as required.
The Supervisor will lead the communications & OCM business function to manage projects, respond to business service requests, and develop and implement communications and OCM plans to support business objectives, other business units, business functions and teams, as well as projects across the organization. The position is responsible for developing and implementing service level agreements for projects and business service requests, implementing, and improving processes and workflows, and tracking performance data against key performance indicators (KPIs). The position is also responsible for overseeing the development of Al-Pac’s social media, intranet and website content, and external communications as required.
Internal & External Communications & OCM
- Manage corporate communication activities.
- Oversee communications and OCM strategies and plans for internal clients, and provide communications and OCM expertise, guidance, and best practice advice to internal clients.
- Ensure communications and OCM strategies and plans align with Al-Pac practices, accountabilities, and policies.
- Manage projects, and coordinate and manage external resources as required.
- Manage vendors and external resources as required.
- Direct the communications business function in the drafting, design and editing of professional communications, marketing, and promotional materials for print and digital platforms in alignment with and in support of Al-Pac’s brand and business objectives.
- Oversee development of Al-Pac’s intranet, website and social media content.
- Lead development of OCM materials as required.
- Prepare complex documents using a variety of computer applications and tools, research, gather and summarize information and data, and develop reports, briefings, presentations, and information packages.
Stakeholder Engagement (Internal)
- Engage and collaborate effectively with internal clients and stakeholders to develop effective communications and OCM strategies, plans, materials, and collaterals in alignment with Al-Pac practices, accountabilities, and policies.
- Build effective working relationships with internal clients and stakeholders and provide consistent professional services in support of business objectives.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the organization’s policies and procedures and of relevant regulatory requirements and codes of conduct to ensure organizational, business function and individual work adheres to those standards.
Professional Skills Building
- Develop professional skills by participating in assessment and development planning activities, as well as formal and informal training and coaching.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of relevant technology and industry best practices for communications and OCM through ongoing education and reading specialist media.
- Lead the communications & OCM business function in accordance with Al-Pac policies, processes, and best practices.
- Set work plans, annual goals, and performance and development plans for direct reports.
- Oversee day-to-day work and project assignments, planning, and scheduling.
- Carry out administrative approvals for direct reports in accordance with Al-Pac’s approvals authorities.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Build a strategic plan for corporate communications, including a three-year plan for the communications and OCM business function.
- Create structure around processes, workflow, and service level agreements.
- Further advance the department and business around organizational change management principles to effectively execute on change which may include small and large initiatives.
Given the pivotal role this individual is expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, the successful candidate will possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in communications, organizational change, or a related field.
- Prosci® change management certification or equivalent would be an asset with knowledge and experience being considered in lieu.
- 7 + years professional experience in corporate communications with a strong understanding of organizational change management.
- 5+ years of experience operating in a leadership capacity with demonstrated skill in coaching and elevating teams.
- Experience in the forest or natural resource development sectors an asset.
- Experience with professional writing, print and digital design, social media content development and branding.
- Strong understanding of organizational change management principles and methodologies (Prosci® certification is an asset), and experience applying OCM principles within a corporate setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels.
- Familiarity with communications and graphic design tools and programs, social media and project management software.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Communication: uses clear and effective verbal, written and presenting communication skills with diverse audiences without supervision.
Computer Skills: develops and supports business processes and workflows with systems acumen without supervision.
Strategic Planning: develops and implements action plans to achieve objectives, including timelines and resource needs.
Planning & Organizing: plans, organizes, prioritizes and manages activities to efficiently meet business objectives.
Project Management: uses expertise to develop and implement project plans, including setting milestones and timelines, and identifying resource requirements.
Policy, Procedures & Regulation: works with guidance to interpret and understand policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
Interpersonal & Organizational Savvy: engages in effective communication and builds positive working relationships with internal stakeholders, vendors and external resources with good judgement, tact, discretion, and trust.
Confidentiality: maintains organizational, business function and individual confidentiality and manages private, sensitive, and confidential information accordingly.
Decision Quality: makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Ensures Accountability: holds oneself and others accountable to meet commitments.
Optimizes Work Processes: knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Builds Effective Teams: builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
Develops Talent: develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
Collaborative: builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Nimble Learner: actively learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning.
Instills Trust: gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Holds high standards for you and your team.
- Passionate about corporate communications.
- Can have challenging conversations that elevate thinking while maintaining good relations and strong team spirit.
- High integrity and trustworthiness.
- Ability to manage complex situations.
- Builds strong relationships, building bridges internally.
- Highly accountable, holding your team to this same standard.
- Displays ethical leadership.
- Able to respond and pivot to new initiatives and business needs.
- Enjoys change and leading others through it.
- Respectful of others.
- Positive attitude and energy.
- Leads by example.
- Strategic and operational performer.
- Highly organized with good time management skills.
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision.
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations.
- Exhibits sound judgment.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
St. Albert, Alberta
Al-Pac professional team members work Monday to Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This is a hybrid role with opportunity to work 2 days in office and 2 days at home.
The positions involves occasional travel to Al-Pac’s mill site location.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. in the role of Supervisor, Communications & OCM, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AXWD-464625.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Max Frank at 587-200-0114 ext. 102.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *