Job ID 6432
Our client, Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac), is a leading manufacturer of quality kraft pulp, with an annual production of about 640,000 tonnes. Since beginning operations in 1993, Al-Pac has taken pride in achieving excellence in manufacturing a high-quality product for customers and environmental performance. Al-Pac continuously invests in new technology and science to remain among the most environmentally responsible and competitive forest companies in the world.
Quality goes beyond their products at Al-Pac. It’s about their people, values, and business ethics. They strive to be an industry leader in everything they do, from operations and how they work with their communities to the way they develop their team members and manage the forest. Al-Pac is always investing in new and innovative ideas while also delivering premium products in an environmentally sustainable way.
Vision – To be a good neighbour with $1 billion in diversified revenue by 2031.
Purpose – As stewards of the resources entrusted to us, we make a positive impact where we work and live.
Strategy – Diversify revenues through investment in complementary industries creating a diversified business hub that is differentiated by environmental stewardship, social impact, and strong governance.
Values – We are a values-based organization. At Al-Pac, we believe that living our values and holding each other accountable is one of the things that makes us successful in every area of our business.
Our values are important to us because they help us grow and develop. They ensure that our decisions are directed towards a specific purpose. Al-Pac’s core values support our vision and shape our culture:
For further information on Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries, please visit their website at www.alpac.ca.
The Team Lead – Health, Safety and Security will report to the Health, Safety and Security Business Unit Lead and is responsible for supporting and ensuring Al-Pac maintains compliance with provincial and federal legislation, emergency response requirements and security protocols. This role will be responsible for programs and practices as well as all training and certification requirements. The Team Lead will provide direction on how to run health, safety, and security management plans as well as troubleshooting, mitigating issues that arise, managing day-to-day workflow, and monitoring implementation of corporate mandates.
This role is responsible for identifying issues to be included in the HSS management plan and will monitor organization progress and identify champions of compliance and continuous improvement. The successful individual will provide support to all departments on OHS and strategy to create employee capacity at all levels in recognizing, assessing, and managing risk.
- Health, Safety and Security (HSS) – Monitor and review performance against HSS KPIs, and patterns of behaviour within the area of responsibility.
- Take action to improve performance and to resolve non-compliance with the organization’s HSS policies, procedures, and mandatory instructions.
- Emergency Response coordination.
- Information and Business Advice – Provide specialist advice on the interpretation and application of policies and procedures, resolving queries and issues and referring very complex or contentious issues to others.
- Regulatory and Compliance Management – Investigate incidents and reports, providing expert advice to more senior colleagues.
- Minimize risk exposures and ensure adherence with regulatory standards by working with all internal functions to make sure compliance programs are properly implemented.
- Regulation and Registration – Collaborate internally and work as the customer champion in cross-functional teams to build strong understanding of regulation and registration requirements.
- Provide expert advice on security management.
- Promote and enforce Health and Safety regulations and safe working practices.
- Analyze safety trends and make recommendations to leadership.
- Identify safety-training needs and coordinate safety-training programs.
- Perform site inspections and recommend corrective actions.
- Provide safety support and information to employees.
- Act as an Occupational Health & Safety contact.
- Develop and monitor corporate safety goals and objectives.
- Assist in the planning and start-up of new projects with respect to HSS.
- Responsible for driving success in accident prevention.
- Ensure there are common safety systems across the organization to increase compliance, build capability and share best practice.
- Increase the capability of Leaders within the organization to learn from potential incidents.
- Provide leadership to team members within the unit comprised of nurses and shift technicians.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Ensure all emergency response equipment, procedures, training, and protocols are current with industry standards and in alignment with company objectives.
- Update safety management program including policies and procedures to reflect continuous improvement standards.
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships within the team and across departments with an in-depth knowledge of business operations.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- University degree in a related field (OHS, and emergency response). An equivalency of a related diploma plus five years of recent related experience will be considered. High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Occupational Health & Safety certificate is considered an asset.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional considered an asset.
- 5-7 + years working knowledge of Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Code and Act, and related legislation.
- Experience managing health and safety in the forestry/manufacturing sectors would be preferred.
- Forestry background or experience and would be an asset.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Well-developed organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Knowledge of Alberta WCB and OH&S legislation, compliance, and enforcement procedures.
- Knowledge of emergency response requirements and fire code safety.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, including presentations.
- Knowledge of the interface between trades and management in the workplace.
- Knowledge and techniques of industrial hygiene.
- Ability to manage the demands of multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to identify and resolve conflictual situations.
- Comfortable with flexible work hours and some travel commitments.
- Valid drivers’ license (GDL removed) with an acceptable driving history.
- Ability to manage complexity
- Effective communicator
- Strong data collection and analysis skills
- Compliance and conflict management skills
- Highly accountable and ensures that of their team
- Displays ethical leadership
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- Enjoys change and leading others through it
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Strategic and operational performer
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Al-Pac professional staff work Monday – Thursday from 7am – 5pm. This role will also involve occasional evening and on-call work.
HOW TO APPLY
For the opportunity to join Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. in the role of Team Lead, Health, Safety, & Security, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #ASTS-148513.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit: www.profoundtalent.com
ProFound Talent is a woman owned and operated business, recognized and certified by Women Business Enterprise (WBE). We pride ourselves in supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in our recruitment processes and in our work environment, where every individual feels valued and respected. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to which you may confidentially share your accommodation needs at time of application. We will adjust our processes to ensure you have an inclusive, fair, and respectful experience that allows you to represent yourself in your unique and most authentic way.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions, however only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *